how many bedrooms to list

Jo-Anne27
Level 2
Hamilton, VA

how many bedrooms to list

I have an unusual situation with my guest house I am about to list.  It is two story timberframe structure.  We call it a chalet because it looks straight out of switzerland.  The main floor has one bedroom.  There is only one bathroom and that is on the main floor.  We may add another bathroom in the loft depending how this listing goes.  The top floor is a large loft with two sets of bunk bed.  Bottom bunks are kings size and top bunk are full.  So do I  list this as a one bedroom or two bedroom.  The loft is not really a bedroom but an open area.  The place sleeps ten but I will be making it clear that it only has one bathroom.  Thanks for your help.

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jo-Anne27 I think you can only legitimately list it as one bedroom with additional sleeping loft, As only the bedroom is a private area. 

And cramming 8 people into a sleeping loft seems like a lot. I'd suggest you list it for 6 guests max., 2 in the bedroom, 4 in the loft. Expecting 10 people to share one bathroom is a bit much.

I agree with you unless its a bunch of kids

@Jo-Anne27  Yes, I thought about that, but you mean like a bunch of 18 or 19 year olds or a couple with kids? It would be rare you would get a couple with 8 kids. The problem is, when you list the total guest max, there's no way to break that down and specify how many adults and how many children. 

If you're talking about 10 young people, like in the 20 year old range, that's kind of a recipe for a party scene.

It isn't so important whether Airbnb says you can list it as 2 bedroom, it's, as Lisa points out, that you don't want guests complaining that there wasn't any privacy and that the 2nd bedroom wasn't really a bedroom.

Great advice.  I think I will go with six.  I am honestly just targeting my listing to a couple with or without a few kids.  I don't think even two couples want to stay in a place with just one bathroom

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jo-Anne27 I would not list this as a two-bedroom-- even if maybe you technically could it seems like an invitation for somebody to have unmet expectations and complain.

Thats what I thought too.  I am trying to avoid unmet expectations.  I contacted Airbnb and they told me to list it as two bedroom.  Honestly, every time I call for advice, I end up talking to someone who really has no experience and I have to elevate it to a supervisor and wait for a call back.  Very frustrating.  Thank you for your advice.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo-Anne27 I would list it as a 2 bed PROVIDED there is no need for anyone to go upstairs except to enter the 2nd 'bedroom'. Just make it clear in the listing that there is no door on the second bedroom but that it is the only room on that floor.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jo-Anne27    I highly recommend that you list as a one bedroom and then describe the additional OPEN loft sleeping area.  Most adult guests would require a closed door for "adult" reasons.  I would also not rent to more than 6 guests.  With one bathroom, 10 is going to be difficult. (Are you on sewer or septic?  Is your water heater big enough for 10 showers in the morning and 10 at night?  While laundry is also being done?)   When I first began, I had a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath chalet with two large loft areas.  The local realtor said to set up for 14 guests with futons, sleep sofas, etc.  The first several months of rentals were nightmares for my housekeeper, and the realtor registered lots of complaints.  I fired the realtor, removed all extra beds, listed as 6 person max, raised my prices and things were much better (and profitable).