incorrect number of guests - guest does not respond

incorrect number of guests - guest does not respond

First I get a booking enquiry for 2 guests asking me why there is a 'price difference' and I explain the situation that additional guest costs extra and I go ahead to accept the booking enquiry.

Then my guest instant books but changes the booking for ONE guest ONLY. I make her aware that I cannot accept the wrong amount of guests and send her an alteration for 2 guests. She then starts discussing and I explain the situation again. In the evening she says she wants to cancel and declines my update to the number of guests... She's now whinging about losing money due to partial refund. I cannot cancel the booking as it'll reflect badly upon me as a host and by any means I had explained to her prior to her hitting the 'instant book button'.

I tell her that I'd appreciate if she could make up her mind and wait for them to either cancel their booking or update the details of the booking.

Now 48 hours have passed, the incorrect booking is still valid and I haven't heard back from them. Despite me being a very understanding person and host who normally offers discounts and depending on circumstance, also full refunds, I am not willing to host them if they don't correct the number of guests. and also, after all this, not really willing to refund them more than 50% as I cannot be certain that I'll find other guests to take up the slot in my calendar. ....

Thoughts?

19 Replies 19

Most places in the USA allow for 2 people per bedroom and 2 in the main area - like on a sleeper couch or air mattress.  If you jam more people in a place than that, there is probably a violation of some local code or ordinance in the USA.  Is it the same in Europe? Australia? Central and South America?  Canada?  Curious. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Bill156 

Did you receive your extra 2 persons upcharge accordingly?

update: I ended up giing them 50 % off the second person fee (so, instead of 13 pounds, 7 pounds per extra person). Given that I already offer at the bottom of the price range in a fairly central London location, this is super cringe worthy! But whatever, the guests seemed fine with it. Weren't super friendly but it did the job. They didn't write a review but I also waited until the very last day of the 14-day period to make sure to leave them one so other hosts could see the potential for drama..

I just wonder... Why book travel and then argue about a meagre couple of pounds when you cannot afford it?!?! Or I'd think: don't live above your means and book a room/hostel instead of an entire place... I don't get it. But then, most guests never think from a host perspective I guess...or is it a lack of 'common sense' these days....?!?!

@Kate406 

Thanks for the feedback.

All this underhand dealing (caused by guests) just leaves a sour taste. Hosts are just seen as capitalist money grabbers when all we're doing is applying the rules as they have ALREADY AGREED to.

Why did you discount your second person fee? I know a bar won't do this on a second beer, and they'd be making as much in London per beer than you would per. person per night with that discount...  Yes, you were just placed in an awkward position. Time to dig your heels in.

Your guests just learned that they can bypass the Airbnb booking system without penalty. Maybe they had learnt that already before booking with you? <unhappyangryemojiface>

Matt-and-Amy2
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

I have a guest that sent a reservation request for 1 person but used "we" in her message.  I asked her how many were in her party.  She messaged back "3".  I accepted the request and then sent an alteration request for the correct number of people.  I've sent her 2 nice messages...the last one asking if she'd received my request and, if so, to please accept if if she wants to keep her reservation.  No response.  In retrospect, I wish I would've asked her to cancel and resend her request with the correct number of people instead of accepting and then sending alteration request.  The kicker is that I discovered that this is someone I knew (an acquaintance) in highschool!...which I haven't revealed to her yet.

Any advice on what I should do if she chooses not to respond?

Thanks!