leaving keys for guests

leaving keys for guests

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Hosting and wondering how do other hosts leave keys for guests? I cannot meet guests on arrival and need to leave a key thats accesable at all times, my first thought was a keysafe but I would have to change the code every time the guest leaves so they don't have unlimited access to the property. 

Another thought was a Yale smartlock that works via a downloadable yale app where you can send keys to guests nut these are expensive and I am sceptical about how well they work.

Any suggestions  ??

thanks in advance

27 Replies 27
Julie_Mike0
Level 7
Chicago, IL

I use a basic lockbox with a 4 digit passcode that I set to the last 4 digits of my guests phone number. I change this after each guest and it takes about 10 seconds. I would be wary of using any type of system where the guest would be required to use an app (not sure if the Yale one does but just in general).

100% Agreed ... but if you are away while an old guest leaves and a new comer is on?

You’d still need to clean the place, so I don’t know how that’s an issue.

My cleaning person or I reset the door code when it’s ready for the next group.

Yes which is why there is cleaning services Einstein and its already a struggle getting them to clean properly much less rest a code on a lcckbox or alarm 

This is a fantastic idea!

You have some options.  The keybox is one example.  However, you said you wouldn't like the guest to have unlimited access.  Every time you give out a physical key, you run the risk of a guest having it copied.  There is no way to prevent this.  That means if you do want to go with a key, you need a secondary operation to keep guests from coming back.  We use an alarm system. We provide the guest a key and then we provide them, once they are actually here, an alarm code personal to them (last 4 digits of the phone number work well).  Our alarm system can be monitored and controlled remotely and it keeps track of who armed and disarmed the system.  If we are not available when the guest is checking out, we ask them to set the alarm and drop the keys - we have a locked mailbox for this.  We then  remotely set the house alarm to arm both the motion detectors and to "no entry delay" meaning they don't even get the 60 second buffer to disarm.  

We've stayed at other Airbnbs with keypad locks - these also work great but you can't change the lock codes remotely so you have to be physically on site to change the code between guests.  

I've not used York, but if you can only send "keys" to the guest via the app and you have guests traveling from oversees, they may not be able to use this service since their cell phones may not work.  

Some people use the camera doorbell, when the guest gets to the doorbell, they text you and you remotely let them in via the alarm system or a door lock after viewing that it is actually them at the door.  Schlage offers one that you can disarm remotely for the guest via app - but that will require you to be available to do so when they arrive.  Same problem with connectivity and some guests.  

ADT provides an entire service that is cloud based.  You get the alarm system and remote door entry options.   Then you can leave a physical key inside the residence for the guest to use.   

To put it in perspective with regards to cost.... digital door lock runs about $250 - $300 (one time cost).  Alarm system $50/month ($600/year - every year).  Home insurance deductible in case your key-maker comes back unannounced $500-$1,000 plus the cost of your stolen stuff not covered.  

Personally, I like my key and alarm system combo coupled with my House Rule to use the alarm system and my introductory conversation with a new guest, "We've hosted almost 400 guests over 2 years.  We have no idea how many keys have been made.  We ask you to help keep all of us safe while you are staying in our home in case a past guest has suddenly become a zombie and thinks he come back to eat our brains because he has a key."   

Good luck. 

Blah blah blah 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

@Alice-and-Jeff0's response is very thorough!

I've been very happy with the Kwikset 910, which has a keypad. We reset it to the last-4 of the guest's phone number when we're done cleaning between guests. It's around $100 for the "dumb" version which has an expansion slot to make it smart, or $200ish for the smart one.

I had the same reservation about app-based locks. Foreign guests w/o data service, people with dumb phones, tech glitches...too many things could go wrong.

Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

@Julie_Mike0

We use registered keys.  You have to go to the locksmith to get this system.  If you want to have a key cut you have to go in and request a skeleton.  They have your signature on file from when you bought the lock and after verifying your ID and signature will register the number to you before a duplicate is cut.  It is $80 for a replacement key.  I do not recall the cost of the locks but I believe they were quite reasonable.  Guests seem to appreciate the ease this system affords them for entry.  We also have a vehicle gate that opens with a remote or by calling a mobile number and letting it ring once.  There is a keypad on the pedestrian gate for extra security. 

Lisa

Sorry @Julie_Mike0 I accidently sent this to you!  This is for @David1066 and possibly @Alice-and-Jeff0 if you were interested in a more secure key system.  Lisa

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great responses @Alice-and-Jeff0@Allison2@Julie_Mike0@Jayesh0. 🙂

Hello @David1066, have you had any more thoughts on what you might do after reading the comments here? It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Blessed with a safe neighborhood, I just leave the keys in the door.

Guests respond well to the ease and it assures them my neighborhood is a good neighborhood

Paul, I, too live in a safe neighborhood and have been leaving a key under the mat when guests are coming. I briefly thought about the possibility of a guest copying the key and a possible break in, but it just seems so remote. I have wondered though if I am being naive. Youve had no prob lems though?

Tammy-A-0
Level 3
Lansing, WV

When I am unavailable for Check In, I hide the guest key in different places and when they are close, I will text them where to find it. It had not been a problem until this weekend. I have both a dead bolt and door handle lock. In my House Rules, when Checking Out, I request that they leave the key on the TV Console and lock the door handle on their way out. This time, though, BOTH bottom and dead bolt were locked. Now, how they did that without making a spare key, is beyond me. (!?) 😉  Once I unlocked both and went inside, the spare was on the console. I checked all other access entries in to the house and they were locked up tight. I sent them a message asking if they made an extra key, after quite some time, they answered back, "No??? They only locked the door handle." Never had that happen until then. Still scratching my head. lol. So Lesson Learned. I am buying a different deadbolt but keeping the bottom door lock. So, if any future guests decide they need an extra key & makes a copy, after they check out, they won't be able to get back in, once the deadbolt has been locked.  For me, right now, that's the easiest & least expensive solution to that problem.  I am fairly new to renting so, I am still learning.  Good Luck in finding what works for you. 

"Learn Something New Every Day"