my guest wants to live in my place for 4 days.

Christine606
Level 1
East Grinstead, United Kingdom

my guest wants to live in my place for 4 days.

I had someone wanting to book four nights with me.  I told her she would need to vacate the property by 11am each morning and could return at 5pm when I'm home.  Is this appropriate?   She seemed to think she could just hang out at my place all day long.

6 Replies 6
Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Christine606 - I am a bit confused...Multi-day stays at an Airbnb by definition would mean the guest could be in your place in and out as they pleased. I have never heard of having someone leave for a specified part of the day. That isn't part of the arrangement and it isn't appropriate to ask them to do so.

I have guests that stay in my home for several days in my home, even when I leave for work. I have a lock on my bedroom door and don't have valuables in the rest of the house. Airbnb is largely predicated on trust between guests and hosts. 

Hope this helps.

Christine606
Level 1

ok thanks for the info.  I'll probably stick to one night stays unless the person is here for work purposes and goes out by 11am.

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I would add if that makes you uncomfortable maybe you can specify at the top of your listing you are interested in 1 Night stays only.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Your house, your rules IF you disclose or guest agrees.

You have not disclosed your conditions, so you must get the guest to agree to your terms.

Otherwise, you need to refund your guest, if guest cancels.

But if you disclose, your conditions are reasonable, cause it works for you.

Maybe you would only like 1 day stays?

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

The old days of bed and breakfast had the land lady at the front door chucking everyone out at 9.00am and not allowing anyone in til after 5.00pm.

God help anyoneone breaking those rules as a swift blow with the rolling pin would reinforce the memory

Hah them were the days, remember them well.

But nowadays guests come and go as they please, often having their own front door key and the freedom to do as they wish.

Have found that if guests book for a duration of 2+ days then they do expect to be able to use the room as they please.

Besides where would they go if it was thundering down with rain etc. would you still chuck them out?

But as @Paul154 says, your home your rules

Christine606
Level 1

ha ha, yes the old days of the landlady with the rolling pin.  I supposed from my point of view it was just that this person did not have any plans whilst she was staying here, she had no car, she was from China waiting for her kids to be flown over here.  I have a problem with the cat next door which keeps coming in if a door is left ajar, upsetting my own cat.  If someone wanted to come for a few days because of work comittments or another reason then I would give them a key no problem.  I just felt uncomfortable about this particular request.