"Condominium" no longer a property type option

Chris773
Level 7
Branson, MO

"Condominium" no longer a property type option

According to the Brian Chesky's keynote today, there are a bunch of new home types owners can select (chalet, dome, yurt, whatever).

My two properties are condos. Unfortunately, "Condominium" is no longer an option offered in the "Property Type" selection.

Is this an oversight? What should I choose?

"Apartment" is probably the closest, but apartment sounds so...downscale compared to a nice condo. "Apartment" (outside of NYC, where the term is used differently) generally implies that the host rents the property from someone else, whereas "condo" means that the host owns it himself/herself. The latter is more accurate.

I'm hopeful this is just an oversight the development team can quickly fix.

6 Replies 6
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Chris773 I think they are trying to make them non-country specific. Condominiums don't exist in Australia. We have units (which again are apartments). I'm not sure that somone staying somewhere really minds who owns the property...

I agree with Chris.  "Apartment" sounds so cheap and shabby.  I refuse to list my condo as an "apartment".  In addtion, I would hope that people "mind" who owns the property.  Most leases on apartments do not allow subleases.  I own 5 properties and would be livid if someobody was Airbnb-ing out my home without my permission.  This is grounds for a lawsuit.

In the end, I guess I will have to list my condo as a "Bed and Breakfast" because who wants to stay at an "apartment" on the beach in Hawaii!

It seems that you are the KING of the(/your little) world.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Come to Europe, @Chris773, and you will see... or hear. Just because something is used in the US doesn't mean that the rest of the world follows it.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I would still hesitate, if not refuse, to book an "apartment" whether in the US, Eruope, or anywhere since it implies that the leasee is subleasing it without the building owner's permission.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Paige48

In Europe there is no such thing as a condo, it is an apartment or a flat.  Holiday home has gone too, that would be accurate for what I offer, so had to pick town house as the closest match.