"Progress" Tab instead of former "Stats," and "Opportunities" [New]

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

"Progress" Tab instead of former "Stats," and "Opportunities" [New]

Have a look at the changes implemented in the former Stats tab, now Progress.

It also looks like the requirements for Superhosts will be changed from April - instead of the percentage of 5-star trips there will be the rating requirement:

Opportunities1.jpg

Opportunities2.jpg

Superhost Req1.jpg

Superhost Req2.jpg

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
69 Replies 69
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marzena4

Thank you so much for pointing that out Marzena. My page differs a bit from yours in that there are 4 main categories in place of the 2 that you have!

But the one that worries me is this one!!!!!

New requirements.png

I wish Airbnb would get back to where they were three years ago where everyone (host and guest alike) felt welcome in a 'Island' community. I am begining to feel, I am where I am in spite of Airbnb.....not because of them!

Thanks Marzena, another good pick-up on your part.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin0 (hm, tagging not working?)

I think if you push the "Add amenities" button for the Family amenities it will show you the 4 things.

If you have all 4, there is nothing more to work on.

@Robin0 (Not able to tag you): On your first point: Obviously you HAVE qualified for the Family category. Did you speak to Airbnb to have their obvious mistake corrected?

As to your concerns that perhaps 50% or more of the Super Hosts may lose their Super Host status (thereby losing the benefit of the Super Host Filter, assuming some travelers actually use it): Seems to me there is an intentional, quite deliberate 'culling' going on of hosts who are not 'up to snuff' as Airbnb heads toward their IPO. 'Up to snuff' according to the new standards, these being, we are to host homes that are more like impersonal - yet somehow still personal - hotels. And, if the dwellings in question are ACTUAL hotels, even better! And, it would be best if we hosts were not on site. Kind of like at a hotel. Wouldn't want the Hotel Manager lurking around, making the guests feel uncomfortable and what-have-you. Certainly you wouldn't want the host doing things like baking birthay cakes, stringing lights, and making a guest cry from happiness when you sing 'Happy Birthday' to her. No. We wouldn't want that at all...

@Rebecca181, and @Robin, as they explained in the Global Q&A, the purpose of changing from the 80% 5-star to the 4.8 overall rating is just to make it easier to explain to the guests what a Superhost is.

I know neither concept is especially difficult, but "Superhosts have a 4.8 rating or higher" is the simpler thing to grasp. 

The idea behind choosing 4.8 is that it is supposed to be essentially the same as having 80% 5-star ratings (although it isn't). It is not supposed to cause any significant number of existing Superhosts to lose their status.

@Matthew285 - Can you expand upon the "(although it isn't") part?

@Rebecca181, as @Kelly149 points out elsewhere in this thread, having a 4.8 overall rating would be exactly the same as having 80% 5-star ratings IF the only other possible rating was 4-stars.

However, as we know, there are also 1, 2, and 3 star ratings, and those drag down your overall rating numerically much more than a 4-star rating.

The big advantage of the 80% 5-star standard was that 1,2,3,and 4-star ratings were all treated the same: they just weren't 5-stars.

But now, to maintain a 4.8 average:

You need 4 perfect 5-star ratings to balance out a single 4-star rating.

You need 9 perfect 5-star ratings to balance out a single 3-star rating.

You need 14 perfect 5-star ratings to balance out a single 2-star rating.

You need 19 perfect 5-star ratings to balance out a single 1-star rating.

This gives outsized power to a guest threatening to give a 1-star rating.

That's why 4.8 isn't the same as 80% 5-star ratings.

@Matthew285 My head is spinning. Math was my worst subject in school back in the days of my winsome youth. Well, it will be interesting to see what happens to my 4.9 rating after today: All the electrical went whacko in the Cottage today, and in our home on the same property, which affected the Hot Tub, and eventually led to all zonal heating being inoperable - Which just can't happen. It got worse and worse and worse as the guests texted me with the cascading failures of all things related to heat. What I didn't know at the time was that a power line was partially disconnected so it had nothing to do with our Cottage. Before I knew this, I apologized to the guests after all our attempts with the main breakers, etc, failed, and although she has been able to enjoy the Cottage's other amenities, and even the hot tub, I immediately offered her a 100% refund because her stay was obviously disrupted (a romantic weekend with her partner). 

I cannot tell you my relief when I saw the Electrical Company vehicle come up our beach road - I guess another guest from the vacation rental closest to me had called when the power went out. It was all fixed in less than an hour. I thanked the guests for being so gracious (they were) - But, I can imagine that I still might get a less than 5 star review (the hot tub courtyard lights have also suffered and become inoperable in the heavy winds and rains). 

Over 70 five star reviews (overall rating) and now this. During such a critical time in this Airbnb transition. C'est la vie. I did what I could. When I say 'Owner lives on site for better service', this is what I mean! 

I would love to hear other Super Host Disaster Stories; how hosts handled it and how it affected them in reviews. Got any, Matthew?

Good morning all,

Could you please give a tip! I am checking out the opportunities section in all of my listings and where can I improve.. Just to mention that I am managing properties and not owning..In some of my listings it is proposed to "fix" the cancellation policy from strict either to flexible or moderate, but this I think that will "motivate" somehow a guest to cancel if wishes to and I dont think is good to change it. Also, I do not have a self check-in , because most of the times we meet our guests on the house or we lead them at the house. Also, airbnb suggests to "what to work on" to add some amenities (business or family amenities) as the target is for example 7 and I have 6 rating. This one point for example is for hair dryer and my listing does not have a hair dryer.. So what to improve?

Sorry for my questions, but I am trying to figure out some things to improve my performance..

Thank you in anticipation for your help

@Turquoise0 I changed my cancellation policy from Flexible to Moderate when I had a guest get flaky. Since then, I have had. I problems. I personally feel that the Strict Cancellation is too strict for most of the properties on Airbnb. If you require a week or longer stay or it is high dollar rental, then you would probably want to keep the strict policy. Otherwise, you might try Moderate. You can always change back!

regarding the Special Collections, Work and Family, I just gave up on that. I cannot have Self Check-in, as I have a dog who needs to meet each guest, that kicks me out of Work, even though I have had many happy guests staying here who were working. And I refuse to get a TV to meet the Family collection, even though I have everything else. Sadly, this has already affected my booking rates for May and June. The Collections will be featured first, so keep that in mind.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

They might differ, @Robin4, because you're a superhost, or due to various geographical setups.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Marzena4 do you use this arbnb software and if so is it any good

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/hosttools

On the opportunities button I get these 4 choices, do you have the same @Robin4

OUntitled4.jpgn the 

No, @Jeff158, I'm not using it. Two or three listings don't need that, yet. 😉

As for those opportunities - it's clearly 4 for SH it seams.

I am a Superhost. I had a situation where a potential guest SAID he had 4 guests but he really had FIVE guests. My room was on 'Instant Book' status. My room can only hold 4 people. I was forced to reject his request for a 12 night stay because HE WAS NOT HONEST. My "accepted reservation" status went from 100% down to 88% on that room. HOW IS THIS FAIR???

I have spoken to 3 AirBnB agents who all say they have no tools to change this 88% because it was SYSTEM generated. Well, guess what?? I uncovered a "system error" in their ability to calculate. So, I have been forced to take my room off of 'Instant Book' to protect myself.

I think this is PISS POOR BUSINESS from AirBnB. Has anyone else dealt with this???

So FRUSTRATED....

I am also a Superhost also and not on Instant book because I prefer to review every request and ensure they meet my house rules. I've learned this the hard way. That said, the times that I have had to decline because the guest can't be bothered to read my rules or is unwilling to provide a selfie/verified ID or tries to include a child as a guest, I am actually penalized under the "Basic Requirements" category of Opportunities (new). It is completely unfair to lower my "accepted reservation" % especially since there is a security issue here. I also take great pride in offering an outstanding accommodation and am clear in the write up of my rules. Airbnb' platform has always been challenging but this is borderline absurd. Perhaps it's time for competition to offer an alternative. Don't forget, the less reservations we accept as hosts, the less $ Airbnb makes off of everyone. If you're listening out there Airbnb, STOP sending me requests that don't meet my guidelines or change your "system generated" criteria.