reviews

Tamara192
Level 2
Petaluma, CA

reviews

Hi,  I wanted to share my experience with my first 2 Guests.  I was really looking forward to the reviews I would recieve after this weekend.  I understand that 

the first 3 reviews are important to getting started.  I have not recieved any reviews yet.  

My first guests were delightful great communication clean and we all hugged when we said goodby.   I sent my review but its been 48hrs and have now recieved

a review from them yet.   Would it be appropriate to send them a message requesting a review?

My Second guest was this:  She had a reservation for herself and her sister for 2 nights to visit her daughter in college.  The day before the visit, she texted me and 

stated her best friend was coming with them.  At this point,  I had forgotten to mention  my policy for extra guests is-$20/night for each guest after 2.  This is clearly written in the profile.  So they arrived  and everything went smoothly.  She mentioned her daughter may stay the night with them.  I still didnt think of

mentioning the extra fee until I remembered  the second day.    That evening I pulled her aside and mentioned the extra fee and stated there were 4 of them.

I appologized for not stateing the extra fee the first day but the profile clearly states the policy on the website.  She did not agree with my requesting more money.  She stated that  I had not mentioned the extra fee until now and why didnt I mention it when she texted me about the 3rd person coming.   I appologized again for forgetting and asked if we could compromise and agree to a price.  I stated  $40 and she did not agree.  I told her lets think it over and talk in the morning.  At this point I wanted to drop the idea because the review was important.  A couple friends said to not back down.  So I didnt say anything.

The next morning as they were leaving she handed me a $20 and stated she still didnt agree with the situation and they would not be coming back.

So Im expecting a BAD review  from her.  Hopefully she wont leave a review.

What would you have done?   Should  i have not said anything?   I hate its my 2nd guest. and no reviews.   but movin on.

Thanks for listening.

Tamara

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Tamara192. I would wait till the last day possible for writing the host's review if she doesn't happen to write hers, and then review her accordingly - mentioning those extra people staying unpaid. If she does write you a review, you've got nothing else to do but write yours - and again - make it honest and truthful, yet neutral.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Tamara192,

I would consider this to be part of the learning curve. We've had this happening before (They wrote in text, but didn't alter the number of guests). Too bad.

Sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose.

When starting: Good reviews is all that counts!

Success!

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

We usually wait a week and then send an email in case they forgot. If we still don't hear anything we will send another email about 3 days before the deadline. This is has worked for us 98% of the time. We have only had 2 people not review us in 74 stays. Most people do a review within 5 days.

As far as the extra person / money situation. When there is an issue and it can be traced back to us we use it as a learning experience. In this situation we would have said "Oh well, we messed up." Yes it was in your profile description but you did not ammend the reservation and have her confirm prior to arrival. Everything should be handled and confirmed before anyone shows up to make everyones life easier. Once you get into a back and forth with a guest during their trip (especially about money) it can go south quickly. We have made many little mistakes that have made us better hosts. I say choose your battles wisely. $40 isn't one of those battles in my opinion.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Tamara192,

Even I had this recently happening this to me (as said before), and it 'costed' me € 70.

So learning all the time as well!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The truth always works

"Guest was argumentative when charged for her extra guests"

The truth. Neutral. No drama.

This way people can understand why she gave you a bad review.

So she booked for 3 people and ended up with five. In your home (whether you live there or not it's YOUR home). She was rude. And while I wouldn't slam her I've seen hosts post "Did not adhere to house rules."

I had damage. Airbnb told me to immediately bill the individual which I did. She paid the extra. If she hadn't Airbnb said they would get involved. But the bottom line is people cheat the margins. Next time (it probably won't happen again) send them a private message so you have a record of your conversations. Then bill them from the extra. You can send a screenshot of the rules on your page.  That way you can get help.

I can see a daughter thinking "why don't I stay over" and I'd probably let that slide. It happened to me when parents were visiting their daughter who had a studio Airbnb and she slept the night (one extra bed for me to change). But they were nice and it was cool. But when someone says "my friend is staying over" and then "my daughter" - they don't often read the descriptions and don't get that we aren't a hotel which rents by the room.

She was out of bounds. But my second guest was pretty horrible and I made the mistake of writing them a review (wanted to build my credentials). I wouldn't do it again.

1. I wait until the last minute to see if guests post a review.
2. If they don't, you don't have to either - but I would recommend stating the guest was informed of the rules, permitted two extra guests to stay, and then refused to pay the correct fees. That will help future hosts avoid her.

3. If you get a negative review yo can post a public response that every can see. Be objective, but spell out that she was not considerate and ignored your rules for extra guests.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The upshot is, ~IF~ she was aware (and remembered) but then 'acted insulted' of the the extra $20 per person / per night, then lets be frank - she is a hustler. What difference would it have made had you said it on Day #1, Day #3 or Day #5. She is just not honest.

Having said that, a pity you didn't make it explicit up front as she was adding people, and that is the lesson - bringing such things up as is happening. Oh, and without constantly apologizing. 

I just had guests arrive from Costa Rica, which I and they totally forgot about the two extra guests; I mentioned it the next day and they said they totally forgot and please send the modification; no problems whatsoever, because? They were honest.

Dishonest people play 'games', honest ones don't.

Jomy2
Level 5
Atlanta, GA

I find that having extra guest charge does not work. Most often theysay there are only "X" number of people - enough to not incur extra fee. Then more people show up without informing me (as in your case) or they inform you of it last moment creating uncomfortable situation like yours. So I just got rid of the extra guest fee option and just charge more for the listing. 

Another thing I do is ask the following questions in the initial contact. I do not accept a reservation until the potential guest has answered it. This might mean I lose a couple of potential guests because they do not want to communicate. However, most guests who are serious about renting do answer these questions. Those who do not respond to these questions, I do not want to host them because they are probably going to be headache anyways.

Where are you coming from? What brings you to Atlanta? Who and how many people will be staying here? How many cars? Will there be any pets or kids? Does anyone smoke? Do you plan to have visitors or additional (temporary) guests staying at the property anytime during this reservation? If yes, how many and how often? What time do you plan to check-in and check out? Also, please confirm that you have read the "FULL" House Rules.