texas - state taxes

texas - state taxes

I have been paying the city and state Hotel Occupancy taxes on my own. AirBnb's site claims they pay state taxes for Texas.  However, the State Comptroller has no record.  Does AirBnb actually do this?  Do I need to enable it?  I don't want to double pay taxes

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Keri-and-Alexander0. You can see what amounts Airbnb has collected on your behalf by going to Transaction History > Gross Earnings.  

Be sure to ask for a supervisor as some lower level employees may not know how it works.  There are thousands of Airbnb listings in Texas and Airbnb is collecting Occupancy Taxes on all of them!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/653/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-...

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Keri-and-Alexander0 yes, ABB has been paying state taxes since May. This is done on a corporate basis so there is no attribution to particular hosts. There are several posts offering guidance about this.

Essentially you don't list any ABB stays on your HOT form to the state. So if you only book thru ABB you can either cancel your account with the state or continue to quarterly send in a "No Tax Due" form. If you book on other sites then you just list those stays & ignore the ABB stays.

As for the city taxes, your listing doesn't note that you are a legal listing so have you left that off or does the city accept taxes for unregistered listings now? Your listing should also clarify for guests that you've included the taxes in their room rate or that you will be collecting separate.