three week stay

Brooke57
Level 1
Madison, VA

three week stay

My question is I have someone who might be interested in stay close to three weeks, how do you handle the cleaning of the room, and changing of the bed sheets etc. Do you go in and make the bed everyday? Or do you just go in about once a week to change the sheets? How do you handle the cleaning fee? Advice would be great! Oh, and this person would be staying of the Thanksgiving time period. 

Thanks in advance! 

7 Replies 7
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

First wee is fine next two week is every three days if allowable 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Brooke57 We offer no daily housekeeping, no matter the length of stay - this isn’t a hotel. I would ask your guest if/when they would prefer to have their sheets changed during their stay. The cleaning fee is meant to be a one-time charge to completely cleaning the space after your guest leaves to make it ready for the next guest. 

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

This is what I do for a stand-alone studio:

If a guest stays longer than 7 days I let them know I clean Mondays between 10a and 12p. I change the bedding, change out the towels on the rack, do light housekeeping (replace soap, refill shampoo, clean toilet, clean shower pan, wipe down kitchen surfaces, start the dishwasher) but that is all. I am not a maid. They pay a cleaning fee once. I don't clean more than that. Cleaning fees are for cleaning up AFTER that guest. The minimal cleaning I do while they are there is more so I know how things are and see if there is damage quickly enough to take care of it.

Jann

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

We would normally change sheets and towels once a week, and offer a cleaning service on a cash basis.

In judging the cost of cleaning and lost cleaning fees, I would also suggest weighing up the benefit to having your place fully booked for 3 weeks compared to what your normal average occupancy is.  In many cases I would guess you're coming out ahead on your earnings for that period, so should at least be offering to change linen and top up the soap etc.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Also, as many hosts have suggested in other topics in this forum, @Brooke57, a weekly cleaning gives you a chance to check what is going on. Guests may differ a lot...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Brooke57

I host mostly long term guests who are exchange students in a private room/shared home. We provide biweekly bedsheet changes, new towels as needed (usually about 3 hand towels and 2 bath towels per week) and Henry includes the guest room during weekly full-home vacuums. We don't have a set day of the week for changing sheets or vacuuming but I do include in my listing description that Henry or I may enter the room when the guest is not there for these things. None of our guests have had any problems with us having access to the guest room yet.... in fact most have seemed to appreciate that we empty trash cans, vacuum the floor and under the bed, and change sheets for them while they are out. We expect guests to make their own beds and clean up after themselves. Henry and I don't charge a cleaning fee and we just built in all our costs into the nightly rate and also factor in costs when setting the weekly/monthly discount rates. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

I leave it to guests when they need fresh bedlinnen. They can sent my a message and i provide a basket with the stuff (outside the room), so they can do the actual change themself. They can also hoover their own room if desired, all other spaces are (vacuum)cleaned by me. So I do not enter guest's room. My location is low budget, mostly long term stay by international students. Until now this works fine and is explained on arrival.

Best regards,

Emiel