unhappy guest

Karina192
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

unhappy guest

Hi All,

Quick question. i have been hosting for the past 3 years and have only had really great reviews and have really loved hosting guests.

I have never had a guest want to cancel due to being unhappy and therefore not really sure what I need to do regarding refund and cancellation.

I am aware that if i cancel I get a bad review on my page. I am also aware I can refund however am a bit upset about the circumstances.

Details of the last 24 hours:

1. Wifi wasn't working when my guests arrrived. I asked them to restarte etc and int he meantimie contacted my service provider to see that the problem was. The apprently had a brek in their main line and had to schedule unplanned maintencne last night. the internet was working this mornign again. 

I had offered my guest to bring a temp internet dongle however did not take me up on it. 

they then told me today that they are cancellinga sshe was here for work and that not having internet last night set her back.

2. This morning they woke up to not water (9am).  I quickly called around and found out the entire building had no water. I called the city to repair or find out the problem. It ended up the the neighbouring buildign burst a pipe. I personally paid the city to fix the pipe today and turn the water back on. this all happened by lunch time. 

3. Lastly, by guest complained that it was cold in the bed even though I have loads of etra blankets etc int he apartment, so I went out an bought a heated blanket this morning.

they now want to leave.

Please hlep with the best course of action

Best,

Karina

19 Replies 19
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Karina192 Whatever you choose to do, do not cancel on behalf of the guest. If they are unhappy, they should be the ones to cancel the reservation.

You don't say how long the reservation is for. If it's not for much longer - a day or two - I would encourage them to cancel and  offer to refund them for the unstayed nights. It sounds like you've done everything you can to make things right within a reasonable time frame, and if they're still unhappy, I'm not sure there is much else you can do. As far as the internet thing goes, you offered a solution and they didn't take you up on it.

It just really sounds like they're not going to be happy no matter what, and it may just be best to let them go. I wouldn't refund them for nights they've stayed, though.

Hi Alexandra,

Sorry for all the typo's, I was in a bit of a bad head space. They checked in yesterday and are here for a week. So it is just quite a bit of money. However, yes I do agree to refund for the nights not stayed. However they have not cancelled the stay so I can not get any new bookings nor have they given me the key back.

😞

@Karina192 One  technique that hosts use is telling that guests that they will refund for any days that they are able to get a rebooking. You could try that: it may spur them to take action.

It's possible that they're just making threats to try and get a discount or free stay, and they're not actually intending to cancel at all.

They told my doorman they found a hotel (a very expensive one I might add) so I believe they are leaving. Just not sure if i am getting my key back. 

Let me tell them about the refunding for nights I can get a rebooking for and see what they say. They definately don't seem like the nicest people I have ever met.

@Karina192 They sound generally pretty miserable, yeah! Fingers crossed that they're gone soon, and without too much fuss.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Have a strict cancellation policy in place.

i have stopped giving keys to my guests as you don’t know who you are inviting into your home.

i say I will wait up until midnight and after that the front door will be locked.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Yes, tell them to cancel and leave; your cancellation policy will automatically kick in and they will be refunded according to that policy. You will be offered the option to refund additionally, should you choose to. Do not cancel, and do not accept any request to cancel.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

If you as a host cancel, you will lose Superhost status as well as incurring cancellation charges deducted from your hosting account.

phone up air bnb should this situation occur to explain, guest wants to cancel.

if you have a strict cancellation policy you are less likely to get cancelled last minute as guest incurs charges.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Karina192, when it rains it pours eh? It sounds like you've had a rash of bad luck in the past few days with the Internet and the water going out. As others have said, let them cancel the reservation and then if you feel you should refund a portion due to the issues, you can do so. 

On some level, one can understand their frustration. Even though the Internet and water were out of your hands, lets put ourselves in their shoes as guests. I would probably be unhappy as a guest and expect a partial refund.  

Go with what your gut tells you to do.

Karina192
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Yeah tell me about it, I have been running around and calling all day to make miracles happen. Haha which I did, but apparently it wasn't enough. Anyway I know I tried my best but I can't make everyone happy.

Thanks for the comments and the advice. I know I would have been understanding, however obviously not  everyone would be.

I will wait for them to cancel and take it from there.

Best,

Karina

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Get in touch with air bnb asap and tell them guest wants to cancel but expect you as host to cancel.

air bnb will sort this out as long as you tell them sooner than later!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Karina192 ,

I also can understand the frustration of Your guest.

"they then told me today that they are cancelling"

But why do they not cancel? It is their decision to stay or to leave.

You don't have to do anything right now but to wait what they want to do.

Nice appartement by the way, pretty stylisch and very good photos.

Karina192
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Sorry they said they want to cancel and a refund, however they have not cancelled on Airbnb. I have asked them to please do that and leave my keys, however this has not happened either.

And thanks for the complaints Re the apartment 😉

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Karina192  Your apartment is quite lovely and all the reviews are so very positive, but I would venture that none of these guests had the combination of lack of internet and lack of hot water.  At this point your focus would be, ability to rebook the space, so guest must cancel and establish a positive rapport with the guest (if possible).  

You have been given great suggestions from the other hosts and I would only add, take a step back and give yourself time to get distance and perspective.