what to do if a guest asks me to cancel their confirmed booking

what to do if a guest asks me to cancel their confirmed booking

Does anyone know what penalties will apply for me, the host, if the guest asks me to cancel their booking - because they have thought they have the house to themselves though it is during a time when I am there. They could cancel getting the full refund but I think they are a bit upset that  they couldn't have the whole house to themselves over Christmas where they wanted to invite their family to celebrate with them in my house....

Anyway, I would like not to get penalties and wanted to know if anyone knows how to go about this the best way.

Thanks

Shaktiprem

25 Replies 25

@Shaktiprem0This is all the ways to contact Airbnb   Good luck,

Thanks so much. Everything sorted - satisfactorily for all parties.

Best

Shaktiprem

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

You've listed it as Entire house ? Why are you all of the sudden there then?

You need to cancel right away, give them a full refund and apologise to them!

They could actually report you to Airbnb for misrepresenting your listing.

You won't be penalized for cancelling.

Read the whole listing, not that bad but she did it a confusing way and as we all know people do not read the whole listing.

David

Hi Christian,

thanks for the reply. 
I am overseas, that's why I listed the whole house. I didn't know that I can have two listings. 
I wrote that the price changes when I am there down to $x... Currently I am overseas (12 weeks in total), that's why I had the whole house listed. But I also have the cancellation policy so that if they cancel now that they get a full refund. No problems with that of course.
Best,
Shaktiprem 

Hi David,

are you sure I won't be panalized for cancelling?

Best

Shaktiprem 

@Shaktiprem0@Christian65 is not correct in saying you won't be penalized - you WILL be penalized for canceling, and those dates will be blocked so no one else can book them. There are a few rare circumstances under which you might not be penalized but I don't think this situation is covered by any of those circumstances.  Your best bet is to ask them to cancel, refund their money and then ask them to rebook (at a lower rate, perhaps) under your new, more accurate listing which indicates that you'll be there.

Thanks Susie

airbnbhelp on twitter was very helpful. They called me and then canceled it. No problems. All resolved satisfactorily for all concerned.

thanks again

Shaktiprem 

Thanks to everyone in the airbnb community who has responded.

I learnt a lot from all of you. The best is to know that I can have two listings for one property.

the other good help was to contact airbnb on twitter @airBNBHelp. I got a response very quickly and got to,s that there was no problem and they cancelled it for me with no penalties for me. 

This is a good option to know for getting in contact directly with airbnb support. 

All the best to all of you

shaktiprem 

Glad we could help, @Shaktiprem0.  Best of luck with your business!

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Thank you for sharing and all the Host for there input we are all learning as well as I thats what I love about Airbnb we do help each other