Lack of Host Support!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Lack of Host Support!

I have been doing a bit of research!

According to Quentin Decock, bnbflow founder & CEO in March this year......

The total number of listings on Airbnb is 2'000'000. Though that does not mean there is one host per listing, some do have 200 listings (or more) on their profile, it is quite impressive.

According to the distribution, there is an average of 3 listings per host today (March '16), which gives us about 650'000 hosts on Airbnb. So let’s assume that that has grown to 800,000 by the end of 2016.

That’s Quentin’s statistic, not mine!!

In 2 years of hosting I have never had a problem that required the financial intervention of Airbnb, and I fall into the category of 70% of hosts who are in that situation. We have issues but these issues do not require the intervention of the Airbnb help in a compensatory sense.

So the potential problem pool is reduced to 240,000 hosts who in a two year period will lodge a claim for monetary compensation with the resolution centre, Trust and Safety...whatever you want to call it. Around the world that amounts to a potential 328 claims per day. That is not to say that every one of those 328 calls will result in a financial settlement, that’s just the problem calls that will be received!

Most companies that are a fraction the size of Airbnb would field at least double that number of problem calls in a twenty four hour period, and they deal with it........

Why in the hell can’t Airbnb!

We see complaints about lack of contactability, lack of help, lack of compensation daily!

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Airbnb-ignoring-my-request-for-insurance-claim-on-guest-damage...

This is our current problem child....and hope that @Victoria won't mind me bringing this up.

She has had $4,200 damage don't to her property by an Airbnb guest, and in 2 months she cannot even get a response from Airbnb let alone any action! She just does not know what to do next.

She says all she wants is for this 'GUEST' to be held responsible.....is that so difficult! After all she didn't invite him, Airbnb did!!

This has got to stop! I am a new kid on the block, I have only been on Airbnb for two years but old timers like @Lisa & Cody will tell all that it never used to be like this. If this company was struggling to survive I would perhaps cut them a bit o slack! But this is one of the fastest growing most profitable companies on the planet', and it is time to stop this emotional 'clap trap' we are being subjected to and start, 'from the top' to remember how this company came to be where it is. I can assure you the reason it IS where it is, is not a left over air mattress in a second bedroom in San Francisco that helped out with the rent.! It is hosts like me who over two sites have had eighty 5 star reviews, and two 4 star reviews out of 87. That is what has made Airbnb great and I don't think it is too much to ask that we get a definite guaranttee of support when we need it.....not just silly words!

Cheers.....Rob

34 Replies 34
Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

very good analysis, @Robin4 for president! 🙂

Raf

@Raffaele-and-Astrid0

Hey, I thought you had already nominated Andrea for that role 😉 Don't tell me I am the 'fall back' position now that Andrea has decided to take a sabbatical!!!!

Cheers....Rob

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

(with hand up)   I second it

Well said! Thanks for sharing

@Cam-And-Shannon0 How about that Superhost.....congratulations, just wish those people at the top were forced to spend a day each assesment just looking at profiles like yours, @Karen & Brian's @Huma's @Jim & Marcia's @Branka & Silvia's @Raffaele & Astrid plus so many more and see those faces, read of the dedication that goes into being a good host!

Maybe then they would realise where the nuts and bolts of this business lies........it's not behind a busy desk in an ivory tower!

Good luck you guys

Cheers.....Rob

Barbie1
Level 2
Chicago, IL

AIRBNB makes it's money because of the hosts yet it provides zero support and penalizes them (us) for ridiculous reasons - it should be exposed for what it is - - -greedy, frustrating, horrible company!  VRBO is much better and host friendly!!

@Barbie1 how long are you on VRBO ? I've heard they were great but since Expedia bought them they become gready and people are not satifsified any more. Would you recommend them? How much host fee do they charge?

I have had the opposite experience. I have had exemplary service every time I called Airbnb C/S. I have had terrible experiences with VRBO C/S. Even was hung up on once when it was clear the C/S was a 'newbie' (or completely hopeless in his job) and I asked to speak to someone with more knowledge on the issue I needed help with than him, or I needed his supervisor. I told an Airbnb C/S rep about this happening, and they said if any of their C/S did that, they would be immediately fired. Who knows if this is true or not, but thus far my experiences have been good. I was even reimbursed once when I was new  because I did not understand I had to report within 48 hours. They even offered to compensate me, without my having to ask. Not saying I will not have a problem in future, but so far, so good, but I do realize other hosts HAVE had other significant issues getting reimbursed and this does concern me as a community member and fellow host.

Deryl0
Level 1
California, United States

Same has happened to me.  Guest brought a dog with permission, which I give with the understanding that I have a $500 security deposit in case there is any damage.  I have now learned that Air BNB has nothing but a robot reviewing my claim, and the robot just doesn't understand.  I can't submit evidence online of pet odors in my carpet.  

If Air BNB doesn't correct this I won't be a host much longer.

Same here. I have a no-smoking policy, I take a security deposit, and tell people that they will not receive a refund if they smoke in the house. I had guests smoke pot and hash in the house, drip it on the furniture and floor, burn the carpet,  scratch the wooden floor and airbnb is fighting me about the problem and refusing to give me the security deposit.

Even though I am a superhost,  and the guest was a first-timer with no positive reviews they consider their word as valid as mine... I had photos, but airbnb deemed them "not clear enough" I had a receipt from the cleaning service and the handyman but airbnb said they were no good because there was "no letterhead." Oh and after I submitted all photos of the damage it turns out all photos need to have a date-stamp on them, and be taken with a ruler so you can determine the size.

The so called "security deposit" is completely bogus.  As a superhost I am required to provide massive amounts of documentation of damages, but what does the lying first-time guest have to do? Just simply nothing. Are they asking the guest for dated photos showing the condition of the house. NO.  

After one long conversation I had with airbnb support, their solution was that I should take an additional deposit for any problematic guest in advance via the resolution center , or in person, and then I could control it.   But just imagine how confusing this will be for guests. And I can't always tell who will be the problem in advance.  Assuming I stay with airbnb, instead of going to VRBO, where the hosts handle the deposit themselves, I will probably add a house policy that asks for a deposit up front if you have no previous positive reviews. Its just more of a pain for me to manage.. And makes me wonder why airbnb gets 15% if they are not willing to set things up this way. 

Kathleen Taylor in Hollywood

You mentions your $500 security deposit. When I had to reach out to Airbnb because of damage, I was told that THERE IS NO SECURITY DEPOSIT TAKEN. THEY HOLD BACK NO MONEY! It seems to me that they care much more about pleasing guests than caring for the hosts. I work hard to have a great place for my guests. It is my home. I am able to move into my little cabin during their stay. That's how Airbnb began: HOME SHARING!

Sharon257
Level 1
Lihue, HI

I host a bit and recently had a tenant not pay his rent for the entire month, citing one excuse after another why he would pay up soon.   He had also agreed to stay for another month.  I feel lucky that I only lost two months rent, tools totaling about $1100.00 and some other misc household items someone wanted.  Airbnb has refused to do anything to help me and I am still trying to get some satisfaction but will probably just stop using them altogether.   When airbnb works its great, but when there is a problem, they act like an ostrich with its head in the sand and disregard all my communiques.  If airbnb wants to remain in this business, I suggest they take the bad with the good and address the problems and resolve them instead of hiding and remaining incommicado.

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I don't understand, as AIRBNB normally pay up front before renting. Why would you let someone stay if they didn't pay you rent.  The first day they did not pay I would have kicked them up.  So this is not Airbnb fault but yours for not throwing them out after day one.

Ehukai0
Level 3
Aiea, HI

SHTF—-I have had wonderful experience hosting never a bad experience yet finally I got the dreaded guess that you guys are all talking about it did damage to my property yelled were very difficult broke lots of rules and I was quite shocked because up until that point I’ve had a very pleasant experience well I contacted Airbnb and they were really no help at all and I was very disappointed in there when I reach out to them for help a little they did I mean I’m really mad I put in the request for the damage property and they made me jump through so many hoops and deadlines and Cindy asking to send the same pictures over and over when I know they had them already and they denied it because it was lack of evidence and I gave them all the information I could I’m just furious I’m not making this up someone damage my property and I’d like $400 back