Setting a Discount for Weekly/Monthly or Custom Weeks/Months: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Setting a Discount for Weekly/Monthly or Custom Weeks/Months: A Community Help Guide

-----------------Updated June 2017--------------------

An updated version of this Community Guide is now available in two new guides, Setting A Weekly / Monthly Rate and Setting A Weekly / Monthly Discount.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is another topic that I see posted on this forum so I thought I would create a quick "How To" guide.

Step 1: Go to "Manage Listings"

pricing1.png

Step 2: Click on "Manage Listing and Calendar"

princing2.png

Step 3: Choose "Pricing" on the left hand menu bar.

pricing.png

Step 4: Enter the discount percentage you would like to offer guests for booking for a weekly booking or monthly booking.  Some people may not have the option of entering percentage but have the option of entering an amount.  The percentage amount is currently being rolled out so if you do not have this option, be patient as it is coming.

discount.png

Setting Custom Weekly and Monthly Rates:

You can also setup custom rates for specific weeks and months.  If you look at the image directly above, you can select "week" or "month" for custom rates which would be the price and not the percentage.  When you select one of these links, the following screens pop up where you can enter your custom prices.

Custom Weekly Screen

custom weekly.png

Custom Monthly Rates

custom monthly.png

I hope this helps.

Cheers

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

6 Replies 6
Shannon1
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Hi Dave!

I'm confused by the monthly discounted pricing....I have a potential guest who has enquired about the entire month of August, 2016. I cannot figure out how Airbnb calculated her quoted cost! I have a monthly price of $3000 for August (is that for 28 days?). I also have a 25% discount for monthly stays.....Which trumps which? My nightly rate is $120 per night, so without any discount it would be $3600 for 30 nights. Or if 25% off is applied to that it should be $2700....Or if my custom monthly price sticks then it should be $3214 for 30 nights ($3000 for 28 nights plus extra 2 nights prorated).....But the price she has been quoted is $2954 including my $50 cleaning fee (but before Airbnb fees).....Are they splitting the difference between my two monthly rates? How have they come up with this number? I just want to make sure I'm giving guests the proper price based on my options. I assumed if I put a custom monthly price in that would take precedence over the discounted rate. But maybe not! Please help! Thanks so much,

Shannon 

I'm with Shannon on this one. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for this estimated calculations on the weekly & monthly discount percentages. An explanation would be lovely.

Hi Shannon,

I have 8 apartments for rent through Airbnb.  I have had excellent success using Airbnb for these apartments over the last 2 years.

I routinely overrule all the monthly and weekly discount confusion, but using the custom rates for both weekly and monthly.  I go through and manually set a custom rate for every week and month of the year.  I set my monthly rate differently for each month depending upon the number of days.  For example if you want to offer a monthly rate of $70 per night then it would be $2100 for April, June and September, but I would make it $2170 for months with 31 days and less for Februrary.

I do believe that custom rates overrule the percentage discounts (BUT HEY AIRBNB COULD CHANGE THE SETTINGS ANY DAY !!! FOR NOW I RECOMMEND JUST CONFIRMING YOU PRICING IS HOW YOU WANT BY "PREVIEW" YOUR LISTING WHENEVER YOU MAKE A CHANGE AND TRY SOME DATES TO SEE WHAT PRICE COMES OUT".  And I for sure do not want to enable Smart Pricing as it routinely undercuts what I know the market price will be for my rentals.

My opinon would be that Airbnb should just ask:

What is your nightly rate when a guest is booking more than X nights.  There is a drop down menu for as many settings as you like.  So you could offer $100 for 1 night.  $90 for more than 3 nights.  $80 for more than 7.  $70 for more than 21 and $65 for more than 28 etc.

Only being able to offer 1 night, 7 nights or approximately one month is just odd and hard to explain to guests .... WHY WONT AIRBNB REVISIT THIS ???

I have long found that the weekly and monthly calculations by the Airbnb system require far too much math to make sense.  A month is not defined as 28 nightS or 30 or 31.  Instead your specified monthly rate of say $2100 will actually be different in any given month depending upon the number of days.

Sincerely,

Cameron

Pat7
Level 4
Bristol, United Kingdom

The weekly rates are set for Mondays.  My changeover day is Saturday as is most.  How can I change the dates to commence Saturday?

My opinon would be that Airbnb should just ask:

What is your nightly rate when a guest is booking more than X nights.  There is a drop down menu for as many settings as you like.  So you could offer $100 for 1 night.  $90 for more than 3 nights.  $80 for more than 7.  $70 for more than 21 and $65 for more than 28 etc.

Only being able to offer 1 night, 7 nights or approximately one month is just odd and hard to explain to guests .... WHY WONT AIRBNB REVISIT THIS ???

I have long found that the weekly and monthly calculations by the Airbnb system require far too much math to make sense.  A month is not defined as 28 nightS or 30 or 31.  Instead your specified monthly rate of say $2100 will actually be different in any given month depending upon the number of days.

I routinely overrule all the monthly and weekly discount confusion, but using the custom rates for both weekly and monthly.  I go through and manually set a custom rate for every week and month of the year.  I set my monthly rate differently for each month depending upon the number of days.  For example if you want to offer a monthly rate of $70 per night then it would be $2100 for April, June and September, but I would make it $2170 for months with 31 days and less for Februrary.

I do believe that custom rates overrule the percentage discounts.  And I for sure do not want to enable Smart Pricing as it routinely undercuts what I know the market price will be for my rentals.

Sincerely,

Cameron

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your participation here. I just wanted to let you know that there is now an updated version of this Community Guide in two new guides, Setting A Weekly / Monthly Rate and Setting A Weekly / Monthly Discount.

I will now close this topic for new posts. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.