Bookings

Sheila254
Level 2
Marshall, TX

Bookings

Hi, I am new to Airbnb, but reading some of the other conversations going on makes me think I've made a mistake doing so. I see politics play a part in this business also and maybe a little racism as a side note. I have yet to have my house booked although there appears to be a lot of interest until I send a reply to inquiries which I'm assuming let's the guests know that I'm black. Anyone out there with anything positive to say that may encourage me to continue with this endeavor?

5 Replies 5
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Sheila254They will see your host picture long before, so that won't be a surprise. You will get a lot of enquiries which do not book, that is normal. Just wondering about your pricing: the price is same for 1 guest or 10 guests, is that right? Seems quite cheap but I don't know your competition. Not sure what questions the people are asking you, but as you get more enquiries you can nudge your listing to answer those issues straight away (not that guests all read, but anyway...)

One thing I would do is look at the pictures and try to have clearer images, they are quite low resolution by the look of things.

Once you have a few bookings and get a few reviews it will be smoother hopefully. The first guests have to take a chance on you, it is a hurdle to jump.

Sandra's response is perfect...I faced similar challenges at start up but have progressed quite nicely...do not make automatic assumptions about the racial issue because you allow the thoughts to pervade your interaction with folks of other racial identity...we have had black couples stay with us to our delight...

booking ratios based on inquiries should come in around 2% or higher based on views and inquiries so don't fret that the numbers seem low.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Sheila254

Racists sadly exist everywhere.

My advice is that you are a nice human first which is the most important attribute of all.

My lovely Scottish daughter and her husband went to New Orleans last year and stayed for 2 weeks and touched by the generosity of a neighbourhood still suffering from the effects of Hurricaine Katrina.

They were warmly welcomed  by their host who left them the keys etc to his home.

Welcomed by the bar owner nearby who really only, served refreshments but fed them daily with generous Creole cuisine.

They had no idea of the ethnicity of the neighbourhood before they booked and even if they had, it would not have made a shred of difference to them.

They WERE made very welcome in the neighbourhood because it was obvious they came from a small Scottish Highland village of less than 2000 inhabitants, with no racial overtones.

In our Scottish culture to quote Robert Burns our National Poet.......”we are ALL Jock Thompson’s Bairns”

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sheila

People will see your profile picture when they are checking your listing.  To improve your bookings, here are my suggestions:

- Definitely get some better photos of your place, as the ones on the listing are not well lit and a bit blurry.  

- Check the amenities section of the listing, it is showing everything crossed out at the moment.

- Do check your pricing as it almost seems too good to be true 

Hope it all goes well

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Sheila254: It does take a little bit to get the ball rolling with bookings. It will happen. Inquiries without bookings are normal. You just need some patience at this part of the game.

I saw people mentioned your photos needing to be re-done. I think they are perfectly fine. They represent the property well and aren't dark. You even did some small staging which is perfect. 

Best of luck.