Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening! Off-topic Thread

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening! Off-topic Thread

Good morning

Hello everyone,

Following a great discussion elsewhere in the Community Center started by @Annette33, there appears to be quite a lot of support for a dedicated off-topic thread where we can chat together and go off-topic. 🙂

With this in mind, I thought to begin with I would start this thread, where we can live a little more in the moment! My thinking is that when we are here in the CC, we can say hello or good morning (this could be at different times of the day, due to our timezones) to one another to let each other know we are here, and in general share more informal conversation between each other. This could be discussing what we are doing this week or even what we are planning on having for lunch...

If there is a particular discussion which is particular popular for example pets, we might want to make it into a new topic completely, so that we can make it easier for others to join in and carry on in the future. 

Exciting times! Enjoy. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

111 Replies 111

Hi everyone, my name is neva.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea9 @Annette33 @Lizzie

Can I tell you something has absolutely nothing to do with hosting!

Come to think of it, many would say I have probably been doing that here for a year or more now!

When my mother and father met there was a bit age difference, she was 17 and he was 33.

These photos were taken in 1939, about the time they married!

11052036_1000050710040010_104485301346301462_n.jpg

IMG20170408203752 a.jpg

They went out for two years before they decided to ‘tie the knot’. Not long before the wedding he said to her….”Is there anything about me you don’t like”?

She said,…”Well I don’t like you smoking” ! In those days every dashing young male at least smoked cigarettes stored in one of those immaculate silver flip top boxes that had been given to him by his parents as a twenty first birthday present! The more flamboyant men smoked a cigar and the ones who really thought there was nothing they could do that would ever smell unpleasant, smoked a pipe!

Anyway Dad gave away the cigarettes, and after a couple of years went away to war and never smoked again throughout his life. While he was away at war, what with the stress of running a household with a new baby Mum took up smoking and for the rest of her life was rarely seen without a cigarette.

To his credit though I never once heard him ever criticising her for taking up the habit she made him give away.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Morning @Robin4@Andrea9@Annette33@Robin129 🙂

Lovely photos Robin. It is funny how things work out, I am sure your mother was very proud of him. 

How were your weekends? 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie my weekend was quiet, which I like. The weather is warming and should be quite nice this week. Hoping to get the garden planted. I am a little behind because of the rain and cold, but look forward to getting things in.

How was your weekend? Any good plans for the coming few days?

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

The really odd thing about that photo Lizzie, that is one of only two that remain intact of her younger years! She thought she was un-attractive and systematically destroyed every photo she could find of herself. I obtained the only two that remained from her younger sister who hid them away. 

This is one of their wedding day which she did trash but was saved from the dust bin.....

IMG20170410224016 a.jpg

Wasn't there an English TV show...."People do the strangest things"?

Cold today Lizzie....today is the first time this year I have had to wear a pullover. The temperature struggled to make 20c but we have a week or two of temps in the upper twenties ahead of us so, it's not all doom and gloom!!

I had Airbnb guests in on Saturday....3 sisters in their early 50s and they were here for a family celebration in one of the local hotels. They asked for details of a taxi company to take them to this celebration and I foolishly said..."That's ok I can take you it's only a few minutes away from here"! As I dropped them off I compounded my problem by offering to collect them at the end of the evening, and oh my god, they were as drunk as monkeys! Anyway all was good they didn't throw up in the car or later in the cottage and they left me a nice bottle of red wine for going that bit extra.

But best of all they did give me that 5 stars.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

I had this amazing young family from tel aviv stay with us for 4 days
left just yesterday.2 kids 3 and 5.5
I actually felt like a grandfather bringing the kids small bikes and a few coloring books.
It was  the nicest young family I have hosted.
I feel asking questions by the host and guest brings about a 5 star trip 95% of the time
that's my story and I am sticking with it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bruce43 Good on you Bruce, I had exactly the same experience with a young family from Brussells a few weeks ago. We still have a lot of toys here, a carry over from having our grandchildren stay here last year. but the small kids who come from a big city love the dog, they love running around in our garden. They love having races on Ade's gophers....she has two, one for taking on the roads and one for shopping. Everything about having a young family to stay is lovely Bruce....I'm with you mate, you stick with that story.

12.30am Tuesday morning, I have had enough for one day I am off to bed, Goodnight world!

Cheers.....Rob

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

OK…... a little about myself I will have to do this in installments.
Born in Rochester NY(1952) and raised in NYC and bay shore long island.
Life was simple and safe.
High school in Boston turned me into a radical student.
69 and 70 I realized life was ripe for picking.
Until I received my draft notice.
next time!!!
great idea this thread is

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good afternoon everyone @Robin4, @Bruce43@Robin129@Andrea9@Annette33. I hope you are all having a great day.

Aww Robin, that is a shame you don't have more photos, but it is lovely that you have a couple of nice ones and your parents look so happy in this photo.

Oo jumper weather, we had lovely weather over the weekend (around 20c which is warm for us at this time of year), but it is a little colder today. Our weather likes to play tricks on us! 🙂

It is lovely to hear a little more about you Bruce, it is interesting to hear you are originally from the US. How long have you lived in Israel for?

--------------------

@Lizzie i came here to get away from my rock and roll life style.i was lucky i knew how to work with puters so i have no complants.

i suppose i have been here from 1984  life is good. thank you

@Bruce43, I actually think I have been to Kfar Blum!! I told you once that we stopped in Kiryat Shmonah, on the way up to the Golan Heights from "my" Kibbutz Hamaccabi (close to Haifa). I said Kiryat Shmonah becuse I couldn't remember the name of the Kibbutz where we stopped for lunch - but I now think it was yours!!

@Annette33   it could have been,i also lived in elat for 10 years,and tel aviv when i was young and dapper.

the hotel where you ate was the pastoral hotel 70 meters from my house past the trees.check out the prices annette! 

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

a yes.... going down memory lane.. so just now I came across this picture of myself with my two boys, taken in Italy, about a week before we had a terrible automobile accident there - but all worked out well 🙂

Both of my boys are grown up now, have families of their own, one is a successful doctor, the other a dentist.

One interesting tidbit: So I had my youngest son on my 34th birthday - and we were both born on a Sunday! One of my daughter in laws (she is a first generation immigrant to the US, just like me) had her first son on her 34th birthday, how eery is that? (and she has two boys also..) Needless to say we are all October babies....

10247470_10152325276689183_4394576721116161551_n.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

@Annette33@Bruce43@Robin4@Robin129@Andrea9

It has been a little while since we spoke here. I wanted to wish you all a lovely weekend.

Have you any nice plans?

--------------------

@Lizziewe are having a 2 day heat spell 40c  i blocked of 3 days on my calander till my guests from london arrive.

life is good my way,in the morning im taking my wife to breakfast to a nice druz village restaurant we like.

cheers