Hello Hosts in Europe,
I'm planning a 15 days tour with my family of 4, covering most of Europe's top tourist destinations.
We are trying to cut down on accomodation expenses since we'd be spending most of the time outdoors, however I do want to live in a safe space where I need not have face any kind of a situation, especially because I'm with my parents and sibling.
I'm posting some of my questions below:
1) Should I stay at an economy hotel or with an Airbnb host? Which would be cheaper and more convenient? (In Asia, most Airbnb accomodations are slightly on the higher side as compared to the budget hotel chains)
2) Do most listing charge a cleaning fee? How much is an average Cleaning fee?
3) Is it common to provide complimentary Breakfast?
4) Should I carry any gifts/flowers/sweets for my host? If yes, is it rude to not exhange presents if there's not much interaction with the host in case of "Entire home/apt" type listings where you don't get to see the host except, maybe, during exchange of keys?
Thanks in advance for your help 🙂
3) No, not unless it is a bed & breakfast type of accomodation.
4) No, save your valuable luggage space. No-one is expecting gifts, but it would not be rude to bring one. I already have some Indian silk fabric waiting for a project, but I did feel a bit awkward accepting such an extravagant gift from paying guests. If it were a free stay or a home exchange, the situation would have been different
As for your other questions, it varies a lot from country to country, so for giving any advise at all one would need to know which countries and even cities/regions you will be visiting.
From there, some good advise would be to visit the relevant TripAdvisor forums.