Hi....I'm a new host and soon to be out of business.

Hi....I'm a new host and soon to be out of business.

Hi....I'm a new host...I have a booking next month and my county just informed me that they don't allow short term rentals! Any one else have this problem ? Any remedies that you know of?  ** I"m in Utah.

**[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

4 Replies 4
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Ray1848 

Did you not check your local laws before you started? From what I have read you can get fined heavily in the USA, Best you find out what the laws are, 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ray1848 why is your listing live if it is illegal? You will either be fined by the authorities or, if you cancel bookings, fined by Airbnb. I would advise you snooze the listing immediately until you can confirm you are able to list it legally. Talk to local lawyers but if the county bans STR then there is unlikely to be anything you can do other than offer longer term stays - Of course you may then give the guests tenants rights and using Airbnb without a contract will make it very difficult to evict them.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ray1848   It appears that this is a self-contained rental space in the lower part of the house that you live in.  Did you apply for a building or zoning permit to turn it into a separate apartment?  Or did you just do up your rec space?  Is there an internal access door to the ground floor that is locked but is otherwise useable to access the basement apartment?  If so, then your dwelling may not be considered by the local zoning authority as two separate spaces in a single residential neighborhood and may be actually in compliance.  Check to see what may have thrown you into the non-compliant status.  Was it the stand alone stove/oven?  If so, remove the stove and install a 2 burner cooktop and a convection microwave.  Read about "second" kitchens/bars in basement rec rooms.  

We used to live in a residential neighborhood of single family homes.  When the housing bubble burst, a lot of our neighbors renovated their basements as rentals.  As long as there was an access door to the upstairs, NO oven and 2 induction burners in the cooktop, the basement "apartment" was just an upgraded recreation room/wet bar.  Check your zoning.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Ray1848 

Along with the above, have you checked into your insurance coverage.  Most home insurance companies will not cover you and commercial rental insurance may be required.