Holiday decoration advice needed

Amber635
Level 2
Winder, GA

Holiday decoration advice needed

I am curious what is recommended in regards to holiday decorations. The area my house is located in is heavily Christian, but I want to be sensitive to those of other beliefs or those who may be grieving or something and might not want a celebratory atmosphere.  The home is 3 hours from me and I can't expect my property manager and cleaner to add and remove decor between guests. Should I just limit it to a wreath or would a small Christmas tree be appropriate? It is a pet friendly house- so no poinsettia or similar plants will be used either way.

4 Replies 4
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Amber635 Maybe just a simple green wreath. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Amber635 If you must host over the Christmas break then it is appropriate to leave something that matches your beliefs without being too pedantic.Generally a small tree and once you know a little about your guests some small gifts like sweets and chocolate or biscuits.Bells are another thing or just something to enliven and add a little holiday charm ,a cheese platter or a nice bottle of wine. Also a message to say welcome to our house over H

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Amber635,

Your place is really cute, but I wouldn't put up anything unless there is a good reason why guests would have a lesser experience without your holiday decorations. We have rentals in Mableton, GA and during the holidays some guests have brought their own small tree and ornaments.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amber635 

It's a tricky one, but it really depends on your market. Why, for example, do you think you will be hosting guests who are grieving? 

Personally, I find that the majority of my guests absolutely adore the Christmas tree. I don't really go in for other decorations but I do make a real effort with the tree and guests appreciate it.

However, one Christmas I tried putting cards, little gifts and treats in the rooms and found that, apart from a few guests, it was just a waste of money. Most did not appreciate that at all and some just chucked it in the bin without opening it...

So far though, I've never had anyone mention being offended about it. Here in London (or the UK generally) one would be surrounded by Christmas decorations and other reminders of it everywhere you go, so I doubt guests find it at all odd to have a tree or some decorations in the listing. It is just part of the local culture. Personally I think that people should embrace local cultures, not be offended by them.

I am actually not a Christian myself and was never raised at one (quite the opposite), but it's just part of my local culture and I don't find that offensive at all.