Looking At Soon To Be Host! - Champaign , IL

Looking At Soon To Be Host! - Champaign , IL

I am looking to be a soon to be Air B N B hosts!  I have been a member of the Community for over 20 Years and have stayed at so many and finally have an opportunity to look into buying a place and hosting!  Any advice would be great and the main thing I wonder about is are there any rules in Champaign, IL that go into me buying a property and renting it out as an Air B N B when not there? Thanks in advance and I can't wait to start being a Host!

1 Reply 1
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Brandon676  To learn about the rules regarding AirBnBs in your proposed location you should look at the local zoning laws and if you have already chosen a property, if it has an HOA that would preclude you from short term renting.  If the HOA has bylaws that reference rental properties, be very certain that you are meeting their requirements or purchase elsewhere.  There is nothing so disheartening than finding an ideal property for both the enjoyment of your family and potential guests and then learning that short term rentals are not permitted.

If you are working with a realtor, ask if they are familiar with the STR laws.  If they are not, ask for someone who is.  You may also be able to visit the local zoning office or their website and locate the documents that describe allowed use in various zoning categories.  A short term rental property may be considered business use and may not be permitted in certain residential zones.  Good luck with your endeavor.