NYC laws

Nicole2858
Level 2
New York, NY

NYC laws

Hello 

can someone give an overview of the laws to host in NYC. I am considering this but would like to know if it’s legal to Airbnb short term (under 30 days) in a finished English basement full kitchen and full bath separate entrance. We would be living upstairs during this time. It’s a private house. Thanks 

13 Replies 13
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Try searching the CC Im sure that subject has been covered many times 

Tried this...didn't find anything useful. TY!

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Why, oh why, won’t people just Google

I found the below

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/overview-airbnb-law-new-york-city.html

Because its very complex and hard to understand.

@Nicole2858 If doing the research is too complex and hard to understand, this may not be the business to get into at this moment in time.

Before I started hosting in March, I read, re-read, and read some more everything I could get my hands on. I called my county government to see what I could and could not do. Sometimes, one just has to put in the hard work for things they want. 

So I really want to try and be helpful so this link is directly from airbnb help regarding NY  STRs

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/868/new-york-ny

Good for you. Part of my research us asking this group as someone suggested. And MD is amateur compared to NYC. 

@Gwen386   The NYC laws are very hard to understand, possibly by design ,I can't say.  

I just read them, and by my read you basically can't rent anything for less than 30 days.  It would be insane and unsafe for both host and guest to rent a space where there isn't an ability to lock any of the inside doors, either for the guest to lock their own door or for the host to lock their part of the property.  I will say, it is laws like this, where the only way to follow the law is to do something against all common sense, that are the problem.

I had thought, or maybe it was true at one time, that hosts who live on their property if it is less than a 4 family house, were exempted and could still host, but it doesn't look like that is the case.

Yea super confusing. Thank you for your help!

@Gwen386 

Thats too easy

@Sudsrung0 It’s not. I can google it but it’s interpretation of all the nuances and examples. So if you are not going to say anything nice don’t say anything at all.

@Nicole2858 

I was trying to be nice,

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you looked at the STR legislation on the NYC website @Nicole2858 

I'm not an expert on the STR legislation in your city but a quick read makes it fairly clear you can't let out self contained STRs in your city for less than 30 days.

Is that not how you read it? If it doesn't seem clear why not contact your city council for clarification.

Thank you - i will check this out! Yea I found this on NYC's website and it says 

short-term rentals, whether hosted or not, in "private dwellings"—one-and two-family homes are allowed but again we aren’t clear. This is a 2 family home so alittle confusing!