Wifi speed affecting guest reviews

Anna9372
Level 1
Summerville, SC

Wifi speed affecting guest reviews

Hi everyone,

My husband and I bought a small cabin in a rural mountainous location, and have listed it on Airbnb. So far, 2 of our 3 guest reviews have rated us at only 4 stars, with their only complaint being the speed of the wifi. It's frustrating because we mention very clearly in multiple places in the listing description that the wifi is slow, due to it being a rural location with satellite internet. I even included the speed test in our listing.

I don't know what else to do to prevent future guests from being disappointed in the wifi and thus docking a star. There's not much we can do to improve the speed of the internet other than joining the waitlist for Starlink and hoping it's better than HughesNet. 

Any advice from more seasoned hosts who also suffer from slow internet speeds? Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anna9372 

I live in a fairly central part of London and don't have a problem with WiFi connection/speed (although I did recently have one guest who complained about it regardless).

However, I would say that, if something is a 'sore spot', which in my case might be that one of my rooms is up several flights of stairs, or that another is facing a busy/noisy road, I have found that it's not enough to simply state it in the listing. It should be, but unfortunately people either don't read or read 'selectively', i.e.  choose to ignore the bits they don't like. 

So, when you know what those sore spots are, make sure to message the guest about it, ideally before you accept their booking (or as soon as they book, if you use instant booking), reminding them of those issues and asking them to confirm they are okay with them. 

It's not foolproof, but I've found that it avoids a lot of issues. You might lose a booking here or there (from guests who find fast WiFi particularly important), but better to have no guest than an unhappy one who leaves you a bad review.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Anna9372 

I think it's best to let guest know your wifi is dodgy 

Here in Phuket it's a deal breaker it's a must have and good.

We get many digital nomads.

I see Thailand was voted the 3rd best country in the world for internet,