Absurd Cancellation Policy

Marco3926
Level 2
South Orange, NJ

Absurd Cancellation Policy

I am having a hard time having customer support understand how illogic their flexible cancellation policy is. According to the policy, if a guest cancels within 24 hours of check in, they will still have to pay their first night. Yet, if they cancel during their stay before noon, they do not have to pay for that night although it is clearly within 24 hours. Since I do not accept same day reservations this means that, what this happens, I will have an empty room without any payment. Where is the logic in this Airbnb? The strangest thing is that host support seems to be trained with blinders on since they seem to not understand that this policy makes no sense. 

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Marco3926 The policy is clear (but maybe a little strange).

1. Guests can cancel until 24 hours before check-in for a full refund, and you won’t be paid
  2. If they cancel after that, you’ll be paid for each night they stay, plus 1 additional night

So to be clearer they get a full refund up to check in and then they pay for at least one night.

If you don't like what it says then why not change your policy to moderate.

The policy doesn't say what you think: It is just that the first part is true but not the whole story as the second part then comes into play and its still free up to check in.

According to the policy you just quoted, guests do not get a full refund up to check in, but only up to 24 hours prior to check in. For midstay cancellation they get a full refund of the unused nights up to 12 noon. Herein lies the inconsistency. This is because in the first case I have more than 24 hours to get another booking and in the second case I don't. 

@Marco3926 Oh yes I am wrong. A guest cancelling 2 hours before check in should, according to the 2nd part of the policy, pay for an additional night  - ie 1 night. But if it is a 1 night stay there is no additional night for them to pay!

Of course. The problem ensues on multiple nights reservations. I personally do not accept same day reservations and so if a guests cancel mid-stay the night when the cancellation occurs is lost.

Anyway, I do understand that Airbnb is free to set the rules as they see fit. But, for this reason, I had to change to a moderate cancellation policy which reduces the number of reservations and thus revenue for myself and Airbnb.

Go figure.

Marco if the guest cancels say on day three in the morning and then does not stay overnight you will be paid for that night , assuming that there is 'no reason ' for the cancellation and that the guest does the cancelling.Its always a good idea to say to the guest ' that you are happy to let them cancel as long as they inform Airbnb, do all this via messaging then inform Airbnb of the guests 'choice ' then Airbnb will fulfill the cancellation policy as per the 'flexible guidelines' policy .... H

..and more to the point 'not penalise you...H

Helen,

According to the flexible policy, if a guest cancels a reservation on day three simply because they changed their mind by 12 noon, they are entitled to a full refund of every unused night including the one on the day they are cancelling.

@Marco3926 how do you work that out? The policy says they are charged for the nights they stay plus one night

The flexible policy says that if they cancel mid-stay before 12 noon they are entitled to a complete refund of the unused nights, including the one for the day they are cancelling. I am not making it up. I've just experienced that. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Marco3926 Guests do not 'turn up before noon ' generally and 'the first day ' is really the first night for which you would be paid , if the guest then leaves. If the guest turns up and cancels because of 'an issue ' with the house then they can receive a refund unless you refute it . Never cancel for a guest in these circumstances and as Mike- and -Jane0, say change your policy if it does not suit.Flexible policy is as it says 'flexible , and allows the guest the best value if they feel circumstances or other guests travelling with them may need to change plans.It does not suit everyone at all but during covid when travel plans were easily disrupted it became popular along with IB, unlike hosts guests can simply 'change their minds ' and when they do it is up to them to cancel.They are well aware they may do this 24 hours before but they must also do the cancellation correctly i.e via Airbnb or you are penalised if you automatically cancel them. Tell them to ask Airbnb to do it.... H

IF the guest has cancelled for a full refund 24 hours before arrival , hopefully for them at least in time to process the cancellation 24 hours 'before' arrival , not the 24 hours  up to and including arrival, then they will not be turning up, but if they do turn up and stay they can leave anytime during the stay with a refund of basically the 'nights they dont stay'. Most people dont do this but often use this 'flexible policy ' to add extra days. I would encourge your guests to add an extra day if the booking is open after their stay .After they have arrived and feel comfortable in your home  many people like to keep that type of flexibility...H

In other words if a guest 'turns up' and the booking commences you will be paid 'one night' ...This is a little odd because if you have a two night minimum or even a weekly minimum a guest is fully able to book a week and pay only for a night..It certainly may be better to have a 'moderate policy'... H