AirBnb Experience host wanted me to send him extra money so I tried to cancel but he won't respond. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE !!

Debashish5
Level 2
White Plains, NY

AirBnb Experience host wanted me to send him extra money so I tried to cancel but he won't respond. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE !!

I booked an Airbnb experience with a photographer but he send me message saying only 1 photo is included in the price. For other photos I have to pay $250-$799 which is very steep. It doesn't mention the price in the experience description. And he won’t cancel the experience either. And he is lying and giving excuses. He says “we cannot cancel the reservation because that would cancel the whole group” but I pointed out that only 1 guest has booked (I can see it in the Airbnb app) that experience and it’s only me. He stopped replying after that

I contacted Airbnb and they said “I’ve forwarded your inquiry to a member of my team who can better assist you. Please feel free to add any additional information to this email, and we’ll be in touch with you as soon as possible.” Its been over 24 hour and no reply from the resolution team. The booking was today. I feel like I just got scammed.

This is the experience they are offering **
Now I understand I should have contacted them to find out about every possible detail. But I still feel like this is very deceptive. This is clearly "bait and switch". Once I pointed that out he could have cancelled but he won't do that either. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] and **[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

3 Replies 3
Debashish5
Level 2
White Plains, NY

I wanted to cancel an experience after host asked for more money that I have to pay outside of AirBnb platform. So I asked to cancel and he won't respond. I called and messaged Airbnb and I was told 

"I’ve forwarded your inquiry to a member of my team who can better assist you."

It's been over 24 hours no respond whatsoever. Has anyone ever face this issue 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Debashish5, Since you posted a while ago, did you hear back from the Support team about this issue with the Host? Did you report it?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Airbnb basically said they cant do anything since the Host isnt responding. 

Even though I didnt go to the event, I asked him to cancel as soon as I found out I have to pay more and I showed proof that he did this to multiple other people. 
As soon as people find out and try to cancel he stops responding. Actually its not even him hosting these events. When a client books he hires a local photographer and that person does the photoshoot with the client. So after all these I left a negative review and it was removed as well.

As a last resort I contacted my credit card and they did a chargeback and I got my money back. 

This whole experience has been very frustrating. I have spent thousands on Airbnb and never had a problem. Now lately it seems like everyone is on their own and Airbnb itself doesnt want to take any responsibility. Its the hosts/clients responsibilities if they get scammed