Are you having a busy hosting season?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Are you having a busy hosting season?

Vacation2.png

Hello everyone 👋

As summer approaches in one half of the world and winter arrives in the other, students and families are taking time off, which could create a peak season in different regions. With this in mind, we would like to ask: Are you having a busy hosting season? If so, could you please share your top three strategies to stand out this season?

Your insights will help inspire Hosts who might be facing a slower season in terms of bookings. We look forward to reading about your experiences.

Thank you 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

56 Replies 56

Hi! Not so busy hosting season here en Argentina. It’s quite calm.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hola @Felicitas33, thank you for sharing your experience 😊

Where in Argentina is your listing located? Do you think the slow season is due to winter? I’ve heard that the southern part of the country is experiencing one of the coldest winters in recent times. Are you planning to implement any strategies to increase inquiries?

Keep us posted!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Heidi859
Level 2
Greenville, NC

It’s mostly last minute bookings. But the month is young and we shall see how it does! 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thank you for sharing your experience, @Heidi859. Is it typical for you to receive last-minute bookings during this season, or has it been different in the past?

Keep us posted!

-----

Will this has only been an Airbnb since November, but I do tend to get a lot of weekday list minute stays. Typically from contractors. I use pricing software and actually made the minimum and base price higher than suggested because there are so few large listings in my area. For July I only have two stays booked so far. But I expect to get a couple more. For August I have none. But i am not concerned, I’m not in a vacation market. I’m in a college town. So people come book closer to their travel dates.

Same 

Harmony26
Level 2
Warsaw, MO

Here in Warsaw, Mo we are between 2 Lakes and it is always a popular tourist spot during the summer and fishing seasons. So far this year, I have been fairly busy. My bookings in August through October, which is the end of my season here has slowed down some compared to last year. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Harmony26, thank you for sharing your experience! What are the names of the two lakes? Would you like to share a picture of the area?

Have you implemented any strategies for the season? How are you preparing for the peak season between August and October?

Keep us posted!

-----

We are located on Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake and Dam are 15 minutes from our rental. I have recently added a last-minute discount, hoping to get some more bookings throughout the week. Weekends are always booked and the first to book. I plan to see how August goes and may offer another type of discount for the last two months of my season before winter comes.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

@Harmony26 I just did a quick Google search and saw the lakes—they look stunning! I completely understand why the area is so popular with tourists 😍

Wishing you all the best with your new strategies. Please keep us updated on how the season goes 🙏

-----

The Ozarks is beautiful! Thank you

Denise1306
Level 2
Trent Lakes, Canada

It’s actually been quite slow here compared to the past couple years. I started to notice it over the winter. Given that we are now in July I thought things would have picked up more. I tend to have last minute bookings but summer usually fills up much more quickly. I haven’t made any major changes and kept my prices reasonable. I think it maybe the weak economy. 

Harlon4
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Hi Paula. I have four listings in Indianapolis. Among many events, we hosted the Indianapolis 500 races and the USA Swimming Olympic Trials and have done relatively okay with reservations.  Indy is doing a great job hosting major events locally. Since I'm only one year in and have just added three units to my portfolio, I've noticed a slowdown over the summer, a lack of activity and interest, and I'm very concerned, to be honest. I've been researching how to increase promotions/gain more reservations in my market. However, as a small biz/manager, I still need to substantiate investing in 3rd party tools to help monitor pricing and elevate listings. That said, I'm noticing my combination of medium-term and short-term stays deliver substantially different results.  While currently a super host, I'm considering shutting down the management of non-owned units.  Ideas welcome!

Garry155
Level 2
Derby, United Kingdom

Here in derby it been a little busy.  Only opened the cottage a couple of months and had 4 people in already and 11 further bookings.  But could do with a few more