Bed bugs confirmed but no refund

Emma2359
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Bed bugs confirmed but no refund

Hi I’m looking for some help as the host is refusing a full refund after confirmed infestation of bed bugs resulting in full body bites and medical treatment for myself. The holiday was ruined and the host tried to tell me it was mosquitos before getting it checked by a company which confirmed bed bugs. Now I am left without a refund and all of my luggage is outside the house awaiting professional cleaning meaning I have no clothes for my 2 young children (5 months old and 2.5 years old) until I go to the shops today as cleaning will take a few days minimum. 

the host also asked us for €100 cleaning fee in cash once we were there despite the issues. 

**[Photo removed due to the graphic nature in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you raise the issue with Airbnb after the host refused a refund. If you have had confirmation of bed bugs from a medical practitioner /a pest control company they should be refunding . @Emma2359 

You can't return to the property if there are bed bugs they will need to get the property sprayed and leave it empty for two weeks to ensure the infestation is gone. 

you will need to put all your clothes through a hot wash. 

ask Airbnb to put you in an alternative property . 

Emma2359
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks we’ve already left and are home and did not realise until we left as we suspected mosquitos as did the owner . Then realised when I showed the bites to my family it was bed bugs and the owner got it checked and confirmed bed bugs. Airbnb have said they can only refund the service charge and the refund is up to the host and he’s only offered 25% of the cost and as that’s greater than the service charge we wouldn’t receive both. It’s quite outrageous.

When you do your review, you want to add the encounter with bed bugs and suggest to future guests to reconsider staying there.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That would be unfair @Shirley26 . How would you feel if a guest left you a review saying guests shouldn't stay with you because another guest brought bed bugs to your place ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Emma2359 I didn't appreciate you'd stayed for the full duration of your stay and now want a full refund.

you would only be entitled to a full refund  for any nights you didn't stay. if you left the property as soon as you discovered the bites 

a 25% discount for the duration of your stay as you stayed for the full duration of your holiday and you are the only one in your party affected is generous . I would accept it .?

Emma2359
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We were told it was mosquitos until we realised after it wasn’t when we showed pictures to family. Then he finally had it checked. The disruption of thinking it was mosquitos - covering up head to toe all day to avoid bites in high temperatures but still being bitten. Wearing Mosquito stuff all day, not wanting to go outside for fear of being bitten and constant bites despite all of these actions. Not being able to wear a bikini and sunbathe/play in the pool with the kids due to bites over my entire body. 25% is an insult.  I haven’t experienced bed bugs before so didn’t expect it. Having to completely fumigate all of our luggage and having no clothes for my young children when we arrived home due to that. 25% discount is a disgrace. I’d hope if you had guests who had bed bugs you would fully refund. Do you think people travel, pay for flights, hire cars and the Airbnb costs plus extra money in cash to the host for cleaning to be bitten by bed bugs. Refunding 25% of the accommodation costs does not include all other costs for a holiday from hell. I cannot upload the images to show the extend of biting. 

to top it off, other guests did not bring it to the Airbnb, he did. He and his family had been there the previous week and said his son had Been bitten badly too.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Emma2359 

Getting bed bugs as a host is one of our biggest fears as a host. 

There is no way of knowing who brought bed bugs to the property .

if his son was bitten it's more likely they were brought in by previous guests as it takes time for bugs to hatch and start biting. 

personally I would say a 25% discount for the days you stayed , a full refund for the dates you didn't stay plus paying for any 'fumigation' of your luggage would be reasonable.

but you can absolutely try and negotiate if you feel it's not appropriate. 

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emma2359, I hope you're well 😊. I'm really to hear about the issues you have been experiencing. I  just wanted to let you that this has been raised with the relevant team 🙏🏽

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines