Charged an extreme cleaning fee, and then I was given a list of cleaning chores before checkout??

Katie1148
Level 2
Lakeland, FL

Charged an extreme cleaning fee, and then I was given a list of cleaning chores before checkout??

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7638.jpg

Hello! My classmates and I are enrolled in a doctoral program, and we are in town for a lab and study weekend. No parties, celebrations, fun time, etc. We were charged over $250 in fees for the rental, and almost $200 were in cleaning fees. The night before leaving, the host sends me a list of chores to do.... even though she initially charged the big cleaning fee. We are up late studying and have class the morning of check out, so we will be out of the apartment around 7:45 am even though checkout is not until 10:00 am. Is is not appropriate to ask us to do all the chores when there is a large cleaning fee, and it is not our responsibility to have the place in order for the next PAYING guests. Can the host charge me after the fact if we don't clean it? If we do find the time to clean it, can I request my $180 cleaning fee be reimbursed? Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you! 

30 Replies 30
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I have guests strip the beds in order to know what was used. I ask that wet towels be left to hang and not on the floor. I ask that the dishwasher is started (takes like 2 hours to cycle). I ask that garbage be put in outside can( sometimes house keeping doesn’t arrive same day as housekeeping and ants and odor can be a problem). The complaining guest needs to realize this is a home and not a hotel room and the benefits far outweigh the minor requests made by a host.