Do you ever thank your guests for their good reviews?

Answered!
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Do you ever thank your guests for their good reviews?

I often feel compelled to thank my guests when they leave a good review, just to show my appreciation. Sometimes, though, I feel it might be overkill, since I already leave a goodbye and a thanks on checkout day. 

Do you thank your guests for good reviews?

1 Best Answer
Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Pat271

Great question !

Personally I always make a point to respond to all reviews, either to thank them for the positives, or to address any negative points. I certainly think that it is nice to thank guests who have gone to the trouble of writing a positive review.

I am not sure whether guests actually see the review responses though unless they deliberately go looking for them. It could therefore seem to be a very nice thought to write to them separately to ensure that they see your appreciation. In terms of potential overkill it perhaps depends on the context of the overall communications that you have had with each guest, as maybe strong levels along the way of positive communication both ways, and a good review from you (which they will have seen), may already have amply covered it.

So maybe this is something just to consider on a case by case basis, perhaps where for example communications along the way and your own review have not already been sufficiently positive enough, and you have been then very warmly surprised by the strength of their review appreciation !

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Pat271 

I would say I do for the most part - I leave a public thank you under their review - for the ones that went above and beyond your average comment that is.  

I figure that the guest went to the trouble of saying something nice and in a way my reply hopefully reflects my personality too so that others can see that there is a real person behind the listing and that I really appreciate their feedback.

I don't have self check-in so always get to meet my guests and I take the time to show them round the apartment so you get to know them a little so when they leave a nice review, it does really count for me and I want them to know that.

All the best

Joëlle

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I always see my guests going out the door (at the dock in my case), thank them and ask them if they got any cool ideas to please share them. They come up with the best of suggestions. Now they can write a review about only what a good time they had.

@Fred13 Good point about asking them about their experience pre-review time. That’s why I have physical cards at the property which have a small number of check boxes asking the guest to rate various aspects of the stay, along with a blank line or two at the end for any further thoughts. Especially if there was something not perfect with the stay, I think these cards help the guest “get it off their chest”, and relieves them of the responsibility of providing notification of problems while writing the public review.

Ah @Pat271 you are wise. So true, if they already said it, they do not tend to repeat it in the review; especially when the host's reaction is an  enthusiastic - "Thanks, great feedback, it will be done. Very helpful!". Honestly it is our sincere reaction, we put it on the list and jump on it.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Pat271 

What a lovely topic!  

I hope you don't mind but I've moved it to Support With Your Booking so that more people can see and engage with it. 

I've loved hearing @Fred13 and @Joelle43's replies - and I think that there's some great tips to be picked up from all of you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Pat271 , I always thank our guest(s): First when they send us notification they are checking out etc…(a good portion of our guest(s) send a message that they’ve checked out and thank us for hosting them etc…). I thank them and wish them safe travels. And then again after they have posted their 5 star reviews, I reply a simple “Thanks ….name of guest …..”

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Pat271 we never reply to reviews unless it is in some way negative and we need to point out if we are making a change as a result (eg 2mbps internet complained about just before the village was wired for fibre to the premises). Its just too hard to respond all the time.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I should have been more specific, sorry. I didn’t mean to ask if you responded to reviews, but rather whether you ever go to Airbnb Messages and personally thank the guest when you get particularly nice reviews.

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Pat271

Great question !

Personally I always make a point to respond to all reviews, either to thank them for the positives, or to address any negative points. I certainly think that it is nice to thank guests who have gone to the trouble of writing a positive review.

I am not sure whether guests actually see the review responses though unless they deliberately go looking for them. It could therefore seem to be a very nice thought to write to them separately to ensure that they see your appreciation. In terms of potential overkill it perhaps depends on the context of the overall communications that you have had with each guest, as maybe strong levels along the way of positive communication both ways, and a good review from you (which they will have seen), may already have amply covered it.

So maybe this is something just to consider on a case by case basis, perhaps where for example communications along the way and your own review have not already been sufficiently positive enough, and you have been then very warmly surprised by the strength of their review appreciation !

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

Awesome 👍

I also respond to all reviews as I do not have too many listings, therefore not too much to thank or provide feedback to the guest who has taken the trouble to review. Jue

JMM
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Pat271 

I always wait for guest to leave a review, and when submitting mine I think them for leaving a review in the personal note towards the end of the review. So I thank them before seeing their review. 

My impression is that they are leaving a review for other guest. Airbnb also prompts host and guest to leave a review, and emails reviews for host to read, "so and so left you 5 star review, this is what they said!" Which is much smarter than some of their competitors. Airbnb guest also have been very generous as without reviews no bookings.  

@John5097 

Your last sentence says it all. I am acutely aware of how reviews affect my business, and I truly appreciate it when guests take the time to leave one. We need to express appreciation more in this life, IMO, and I like to acknowledge the guests’ efforts.

On the other hand, this planet has been absolutely bombarded with requests for reviews, emails of appreciation, and other syrupy trinkets from businesses. There’s probably a fine line between genuinely expressing appreciation, and providing canned verbiage that doesn’t ring true. I struggle with that balance from time to time.

@Pat271 @Great points! I agree 100%. I was also thinking the same way, that this would be another great opportunity to express gratitude. I have been thanking them for reviewing but need to make it more meaningful, but haven’t seen their review yet. I already send a personal thank you message after they check out. Great topic! I think guest realize I’m doing the best I can. 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Pat271 
I always message our guests via WhatsApp to thank them for their (wonderful/ fantastic) review and ask them if they had a good trip home.