Early & Late Checkout Charges?

Angel8318
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Early & Late Checkout Charges?

Hi! I usually get a couple asks for late or early checkouts. Sometimes I can accommodate if my cleaners aren't back to back cleaning & getting ready for new guests.

If I do accommodate I'm super happy to do & never charge. But should I?

I sometimes feel I should if the guest is super pushy or entitled about it.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

We deliberately close one night between stays, which benefits both guests and us. Guests can get early check-in and late check-out, and we have more time for cleaning.

The drawback is that indeed we miss one night income, but the advantage of guests satisfaction and our comfort for cleaning overcome this. As we don't charge for this (hotels do), guests always leave happy which results with good review, which is (at least for us) more important than money. In addition, some guests even leave us some money at the departure for allowing them to stay late.

Of course, your opinion may be different, but we are sure that guests will really appreciate this extra hospitality free of charge which certainly will impact their review!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Angel8318, great question!

Have you had the opportunity to read @Goldie-And-Alexa0's comment? I am tagging here some of our Hosts to see if they would like to share their opinions: @Joan2709@Kitty-and-Creek0@John5097@Zheng49 and @Bettye6,.

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

We accommodate to some degree for checkin but not fully even when we are able to.  ie. our checkin is at 4PM, so even if the room is ready we make them wait until around 2PM.

for checkout we allow them to stay in our living room for a bit, but they need to vacate their room. i dunno if that counts. 

We don't charge however. 

@Angel8318

We rarely allow early check-in, and never charge. If we are having fun with a certain guest and want to spend extra time hiking or reviewing trail cam footage together, we may decide to ignore check out time. We keep two nights between bookings so we are in no hurry to clean and prep. This gives us time to live a more relaxed & enjoyable life with less stress; more flexibility in our personal pursuits. We like being rested and delighted when n our guests arrive, so that we can personally offer more to them in the context of hospitality.

Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

Hi @Angel8318,

If I am able I always allow for early check ins and late check outs and do NOT charge.

I also do not utilize a day between bookings for several reasons:

1) I live on premises & do my own cleaning. Plus I have double back ups of all my linens so I do not need to worry about doing laundry turnover to be ready for my next guest. 

2) It's rare that I am asked but for those who I have accommodated it was much appreciated.

that I actually go the extra mile and offer an early check-in with a quick surprise text if able, especially if I know they are coming from OOT. Never know when one's plane gets in.

3) Late check outs requests have been rare and I only accommodate that request if I do not have a back to back guest.

4) I have seen asked before but my guest can check in anytime after my 4:00pm time as I do contactless entry. I had one guest so appreciative that I allowed a 01:00 check in as their plane scheduled arrival time turned into a mess. 

I do my best to accommodate my guests to make their stay as stress free as possible.

Bettye6

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Angel8318,

Many great suggestions from our Hosts about early & late checkout in this thread. Please let us know when you have the opportunity to read them and keep us posted on what decision you make in the end.

All the best.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad