Falsley reported camera inside

Falsley reported camera inside

*Guest reported camera inside one of our listings and it has been permanently removed. *

We have close to $4mil invested in properties we own and have lost complete confidence in Airbnb.

On Aug 5th we had a guest check in for a reservation Aug 5th- Aug 9th. On the evening of the 8th we received a message from our guest “Hi we had to check out & and leave due to an issue in the house. I reached out to the airbnb safety team.” We replied the following morning “Hi Kara! I'm sorry I just saw this, is everything okay?” Since the 9th we were left on read and even after several additional attempts to reach out, the guest never responded. We thought this was a little odd, but seeing she stayed basically her entire reservation and then left, we were already expecting something like a reimbursement request or report of something silly. Which, as experienced hosts, we’re ready for. We have pre reservation photos done after every cleaning for accountability of cleaners and guests. We also pay for pest control that comes out several times a year, on top of other things. So we weren’t too worried…

August 9th afternoon

We were doing our normal routine of check-ins and noticed after looking at our listings that the one this guest had stayed at was unlisted. We thought that was pretty odd and called Airbnb to see what was going on. After speaking with a representative, they let us know a camera had been reported inside the bathroom of the listing. We were also told there is nothing that can be done, they cannot share any evidence with us and it’s going to a different department..

August 9th Check-ins

Continuing with the day, the rest of the check-ins were going smoothly. Until we get a message from a guest arriving to the same listing at 5pm. The guest messaged us and said “It looks like this place has not been cleaned since the last guest has been here” Immediately I apologized and told him I would contact the cleaning company right now. (Context- we use Turno formley known as TurnoverBnb to automate cleaning schedules. When the guest canceled her reservation it deleted the checkout scheduled cleaning and the cleaners missed it, at least this is what they told me)

I also thought about even though sucks even more, that it was bittersweet. I could prove there isn’t a camera, since we have exterior cameras at the home and I could prove no one has come or gone since the previous guest left- including the cleaning company. I then asked the guest if he would be willing to send some photos of the listing and bathroom so that I could forward to the cleaning company to give them some visual context of the current situation of the listing. Initially the guest requested having the cleaning costs reimbursed for the inconvenience, which we agreed to, but then eventually just decided to go elsewhere since the cleaning company was taking a little bit to arrive (we reimbursed them 100%). Shortly after they left the cleaner arrived. I requested that she turn on her camera before entering the listing and RECORD everything. To specifically look for a camera. She did not find a camera anywhere.

August 12th Airbnb

Airbnb finally reaches out to let us know that they are contacting us because” we’ve had a report of one or more security cameras or recording devices in or around one of your listings” At this point, we send Airbnb again all of the pre reservation cleaning photos, the guest who checked in photos, the full video walkthrough, and offered our exterior camera footage to show no one else has entered or exited the property. All time stamped as well. Thinking this would be enough, I started to relax and not worry as much.

August 14th

2 days had passed and then I get a message from the representative handling our case that he just finished his shift and will be out of the office for 2 days…. When I initially spoke with him he said not to worry, the entire ordeal would take 1-2 days.. so now worry is starting to settle in..

August 16th

2 more days pass and another representative reaches out to us. She lets us know she’s continuing the investigation, and will let us know as soon as they have an outcome. We say thank you for updating us and please let us know if they require anything additional from us. We also mention we still have been unable to find any cameras inside the listing. Would she be willing to ask the guest specifically where she mentioned she found one. We also asked if we should call the local authorities to come to the listing and look for the camera. She responded “Hi Matthew,

Thank you for response. Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide you further information related to this case, but you can contact Kara if you require more information.” We then mentioned she has still left us on read no matter how many attempts to reach out.

August 16th   afternoon

Next representative says they will be back in 2 days to assist…

Guest checks in problem free for 2 days and checks out morning of August 18th

August 18 evening

We get the message they are removing our listing

What absolutely baffles me is we have been given ZERO information about this alleged camera. EVEN if there was a camera that was placed that we had no knowledge of why in the world would Airbnb allow 2 guests to stay and not tell the host where it is so they can remove it!? That’s absolute negligence. If I was traveling with my family, I would absolutely want to know that the listing I’m staying at is under investigation for a camera inside. I’m not even sure why it was allowed at all. I honestly thought they were just going through their typical procedures and everything would be fine. Why else would the reservations not be canceled? After several several several requests to ask for evidence, whereabouts, location, etc of the camera, the representative has shot us down every single time and said they are not allowed to share any information. I cannot begin to express how frustrating this is. We’ve proven Airbnb wrong many times on either human error factors or when guests have sent in false evidence and we were able to defend ourselves and rulings being overturned because of this. We asked to have this escalated and were also told that she is the highest person so we cannot have it escalated. At this point, we've uploaded pre reservation photos, uploaded photos of a guest who checked-in after the previous guest, full walk-thru of the listing on camera from the cleaning company, another guest checking in with no problems, etc... I just don't know what to do now..

Has anyone else dealt with this? Do we have any recourse? This is so frustrating.

9 Replies 9
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

It may be a good idea to check for interior cameras in your remaining listings in any indoor spaces, especially in bathrooms and bedrooms. 

I guess technically, it doesn't have to be a camera, it just needs to be something that could record video, for example, a smartphone. 

@Zheng49 You're on the CC all the time, and you know how AirBnB is about reports (mostly fake) of interior cameras in a listing, so why would you suggest that to the OP? Evidence here in the CC, is that host after host finds themselves instantly suspended on the word of guests, when *interior* cameras are reported. Reported, not found. 

It's become common knowledge to guests that if they report such a thing, they'll likely get a refund, etc. Unfortunately it's also become common knowledge to hosts that their listing will be immediately suspended, with a guilty-until-proven-innocent policy. 

Knowing all of that, and based on what the OP has written above, why would you suggest that the OP check for cameras in all of his listings??

@Kia272 

It's gotten to the stage, where I don't think there is anything the TC can do to prove their innocence, so might be a good idea to check the other listings to see if there are anything that looks like a camera/blue LED lights etc. 

TC has said that the safety team has concluded their investigation and is going to be permanently removing that listing. 

I hardly ever see appeals working from being here all the time. 

@Zheng49 Yes, but by doing so you're giving credit to the accusation.

The OP knows that he doesn't have hidden interior cameras. 

And what would be the point if the listing isn't going to be reinstated? 

Remember, he has cleaners in there regularly. If someone else had planted an interior camera (pretty far-fetched) then they would likely find it. 

If you have any better ideas I'd like to know how to turn it all around. @Kia272 

Unfortunately, if he posted it earlier, then we could all pitch in and give advice, but at this point of the investigation, I don't feel like there's a way to turn it around. 

Of course, I would absolutely love it if anyone has found a way to do so. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Matthew2221 Yes, unfortunately there are many, many stories in this CC about exactly the same happening to other hosts. And there's no recourse. You are at the mercy of AirBnB. It's so unjust it's hard to put into words. 

Basically, this is another guest scam to get refunded (or maybe rehoused?). 

AirBnB requires hosts to disclose exterior cameras, and forbids interior cameras. Just the accusation will get a host shut down, and it's hard to prove that you DON'T have something in your property. 

They then tell hosts that they can't disclose any information about the accusation, as there's an ongoing investigation. Then the rep "investigating" goes on break or vacation for a few days. 

This usually ends with a slap on the wrist (for something you didn't do), and a stern warning about interior cameras, and then maybe, just maybe, they'll reinstate your listing. 

That's the hard truth. Search the CC for these stories. 

So sorry this happened to you. What were the guest's review like prior to this? Had she complained about anything else? 

We looked through her reviews and she had 1 review about a year ago and then all of the sudden became very active this month, with already 4 other reviews all in August. We checked the exterior cameras as well after her report. She would leave her children majority of the day everyday she was there and would come back in the evening/afternoon.. This was our cheapest listing and was only a 1bd mother-in-law suite.. We just called an home inspection company and scheduled an appointment.. Hopefully this offers some type of recourse.. Every single call and message thread keeps getting closed without the chance to respond or told we are unable to share anything with you and/or escalate this. 

We definitely feel helpless right now and are pretty frustrated.. The guest still won't respond to any of our messages. We've offered to have law enforcement meet her there,  asked if she could call enforcement on her own to let them know where she supposedly saw the camera if there is one. We've asked airbnb several times to let us know where it is.. or any bit of evidence..

I can't count how many times we've had rulings overturned because of false evidence uploaded (pictures not even of our property) or another example of a guest uploading a video of the lock not working, after entering the wrong code, and demanding a refund. Which was initially awarded, but then overturned when we pointed out the guest entered the wrong code and referenced the message thread on airbnb of the correct code.

How can we even defend ourselves if we don't even know what the guest is saying? We've uploaded pre reservation photos, walk thru videos, 2 additional guests have stayed during the "investigation" and no one has seen or mentioned a camera anywhere

TLDR Review left for guest: Kara’s stay with us was deeply concerning and ultimately disappointing. Near the end of her reservation, Kara claimed to have found a hidden camera in our listing but provided no details or evidence to support this serious allegation. We immediately conducted thorough inspections with the help of two subsequent guests and our trusted cleaning company, all of whom found no cameras.

Despite multiple attempts to contact Kara, offering to involve local authorities or speak with her directly to address her concerns, she has remained unresponsive. This lack of communication is troubling, as it either leaves a potential security risk unaddressed or unfairly damages our reputation as responsible hosts.

Kara's inaction has not only impacted us financially but has also caused unnecessary distress for our cleaning company, a small family-run business that now faces reduced work. We strongly believe in transparency and accountability, and Kara’s behavior in this situation falls far short of what any host would expect from a guest.

This is terrifying, I’m so sorry that happened to you! I love your review for her, albeit nicer than I’d have been. She was so clearly looking for a refund by waiting until the end of her reservation. Tragic and infuriating.