Guest arrived a day later than their booking date.

Les11132
Level 1
County Kerry, Ireland

Guest arrived a day later than their booking date.

I have been hosting for about a year now and have had some strange things happen but nothing as bizarre as this.

A group booked my Airbnb for a night. On the morning of their expected arrival I sent them a message via the Airbnb app saying that I was looking forward to having them stay, check in time, details of how to check in and some other information on the Airbnb. I got a reply shortly after from the guest thanking me for the information.

The following day when I arrived at the Airbnb to clean it and get it ready for the next guest arriving I noticed that nobody had stayed the previous night. I assumed that they had changed their travel arrangements last minute. I proceeded to ready the Airbnb for the next guests that were arriving that evening. They arrived and checked in as scheduled.

Later that evening I received a message via  the Airbnb app from the guest that did not show the previous day wondering about gaining access to the Airbnb as the key was not in the key lockbox (the guests now staying had the key). It was then I realized what had happened. I messaged to inform them that they had got their dates mixed up and that their reservation was for the previous night. As there were now guests staying I was unable to accommodate them. They were very understanding and accepted that it was their mistake.

In a situation like this is the guest entitled to a full or even partial refund?? I am sympathetic to them but I did take time to prepare the Airbnb for them and sent them a message clearly stating the arrival date and check in arrangements. Has anybody had this happen and how did they proceed. I am unsure how to proceed.

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't refund in these circumstances as you provided the accommodation @Les11132 

@Les11132 , yes that did happen to me. I refunded the cleaning fee as I didn’t need to clean the unit for the next guest since the unit had already been cleaned. As always it’s up to the individual host(s). 

Best—