Guest been friendly

Answered!
Lucy993
Level 2
Skipton, United Kingdom

Guest been friendly

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here 😀

I wondered if anyone could relate here, so I had a lady try book my property a few weeks back for two guests and a dog unfortunately at her end she wasn't able to make the payment via airbnb, I contacted air bnb support and they wasn't sure why this was happening. I agreed to let the guest book with me direct. The payment went through and we communicated with conversations like dog friendly walks etc then the check in message. The evening of check out the lady messaged to say they had a lovley time etc...and had rote in my house guest book. She had sent another apologising for leaving some milk at the house etc.

then asking how the weather is at our place.. To me she is very friendly and even though she left the house 2 days ago seems to want to chat. Has anyone else had this? Do I be Friendly with this lady..  the commentating is via email as she couldn't book direct with air bnb . So I don't know who these people are.. I.e haven't seen a photo but you don't on booking. Com..  with all that's going on in the world would it harm to be friendly or should I just not respond if anymore messages come. Many thanks Lucy.

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

It looks like @Bronwyn100 has offered some sage advice from a Host's point of view. 

Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to the Community Center @Lucy993

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

No Lucy she should not be continuing to contact you. 

Lucy993
Level 2
Skipton, United Kingdom

Thank you. I've never had this before. @Bronwyn100 

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager

It looks like @Bronwyn100 has offered some sage advice from a Host's point of view. 

Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to the Community Center @Lucy993

-----

Lucy993
Level 2
Skipton, United Kingdom

Hi there  @Bronwyn100 

Thank you for the welcome ☺ 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm not sure @Bronwyn100 was offering sage advice @Breanna - she states guests and hosts shouldn't stay in contact.

This isn't true many traditional homeshare hosts and guests develop great friendships. 

I thought @Jennifer1897 advice was spot on. 

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager

I'm glad to see many others have commented since yesterday @Helen3. It's always great to see more people stop by and offer their opinions about how they would approach these situations.  

-----

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

There are no laws about whether hosts and guests should stay in touch post stays . I've had some who have become good friends @Bronwyn100 

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

This host is not welcoming the continued contact which in NSW is an offence. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Bronwyn100 nowhere did @Lucy993 say she was not welcoming the contact. I really don't see any harm in being friendly.....

Lucy993
Level 2
Skipton, United Kingdom

I did not say I wasn't welcoming the contact. I did reply to the lady a few time's.  I was abit unsure and was after different host's opinions as usually my guests do not keep In contact after stay.  And this is new to me. I absolutely love hosting and hearing from new people and what they get up to in our area. 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Lucy993 Welcome to the forum. Ill address your question first, then offer a little advice. Is it normal for guest to facilitate continue conversation post booking? That is hard to answer. Essentially an Airbnb booking is a business deal and after that deal is completed both parties go on their way. Normally I don't have much communication with a guest post booking unless there was an issue, or something related to their stay. There are however occasions where hosts and guest click really well and communicate on friendly terms outside their booking period. I stayed with a host years ago for a month while relocating for work. We remain friends to this day. 

It doesn't sound like she has any ill intent. Sometimes people just want someone to talk to. It's ultimately up to you if you wish to continue communication. You are not obligated to in any way shape or form. If you wish to cease communication in a friendly manner, I would say something along the lines of. "Hi XXX, we have been blessed with beautiful weather lately. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know if we can assist you in the future for any travel needs. Wishing you the best." 

On a side note. Moving forward I would be very cautious of taking reservations off the platform. Not only is it against Airbnb rules, but you also put yourself in a vulnerable situation. If anything were to go wrong or there was damage to the property, you have no support and are no longer covered under aircover. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lucy993 Just one thought on @Jennifer1897 's reply. It is perfectly OK to take reservations direct from past guests. Clearly don't arrange them on the Airbnb system but once a guest has stayed with you it should be possible to tell how well they looked after the place so the risks are much lower.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree this should be fine. Otherwise i do want to avoid all bookings outside of airbnb. I do think the guest was been extra friendly for me helping her be able to have the relaxing break she needed 😌 

Hi @Jennifer1897 👋 

Thank you for the welcome and for your reply. 

I appreciate your response, its nice to hear that some host's and guests just click. I do think she is a friendly, chatty person and that is needed in the world 😀  i have welcomed her back again in the future.