Guest complaint

Guest complaint

A new guest of mine checked in and messaged  me maybe 20min after checkin that there is noise from a renovation and that he is cancelling his stay and cancelled it immediately even before me being able to respond. 
i have been booked for 5months straight and not once has this been mentioned to me. I have a 5 star rating and I am a super host.
Reservation was for 37 days as I do 28 night minimum stay. He asked me for a full refund. 

any advice on how to deal with that?

thank you!

3 Replies 3
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Michael8624 

What would I do? I'd just let him go. Accept cancellation and give full refund. Anything else would not be worth the hassle for me, and I'd not want my guest to be miserable or staying against his will. We call it "cut bait" in these parts. 

What did you decide?

I haven’t decided yet, he cancelled the reservation himself 20min Into it and left immediately. And technically the reservation is not refundable. Also need to send cleaning staff to see if unit needs anything done to it

Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Michael8624,

I would refund the guest completely or at least keep the first day and refund the rest. It may not be worth haggling over it even if you are in the right. I mean there is the saying do you want to be right or do you want to be happy? 

The worst thing that could happen is they lie, and/or report a safety issue then your listing gets suspended while they investigate (which could take weeks) with no updates on status (and communication only via email with the safety team). Even if you do “win” and get the funds (because you had a non refundable policy), and get your listing reinstated because it was false accusations, you will lose time (and potential income) for the safety team to investigate. 

It really isn’t worth the headache. Don’t waste your time with this issue, move on, and hope someone honest, kind and easier books your space. 

Let us know how it goes either way…