Guest damage -- what is the order of steps I should take?

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

Guest damage -- what is the order of steps I should take?

My 2nd guest threw a kegger (even though I say "no parties"), the kitchen smells like a frat basement (but that will probably clean up), there was red wine stain on a mattress cover -- who brings red wine to bed?!! (but it did come out in the wash), there were over a dozen cigarette butts very visible on the lawn (yes I managed to pick them up, but my next guests are a family of young children). And they ripped out the last page of my guest log book (I know because *I* had written the last entry, and it's gone and I can see where the page was "carefully" cut out, trying to hide the evidence), I'm guessing because someone drunkenly wrote something embarrassing. I could almost forgive all that, but they also ran into the screen sliding door, breaking it in many places. Yes I took tons of pictures of the broken screen. And he didn't even reach out to mention any of those things. I didn't do a security deposit.

I've read conflicting info on how to proceed. He has left his review of me but I have not left his review. They checked out at 11 AM June 14 (today).  Some people say I should first reach out to the guest (via the airbnb messaging of course), kindly asking for some contribution -- I'd probably ask for $100, which is too nice of me (this is a non-standard door). But others say that if I'm going to file a request for money via the Airbnb Resolution Center, I need to do it within 24 hours? (That will be 11 AM tomorrow June 15.) Since he knows I haven't written his review yet, maybe it's in my favor to reach out to him directly as I mentioned? But I would also have to say, "Please send me the money before 11 AM this morning", otherwise I might miss my window to file via the Resolution Center if he doesn't actually send me money?

I would be very appreciative of advice from you experienced hosts. This experience has made me question if I'm cut out for this. But I have way more confidence in the guests I have booked for the rest of the summer, based on their reviews and our conversations, so that's good.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Do make a claim (details above) and make sure you leave an honest review. As it says on Airbnb's policy (linked above) you need to contact the guest initially and if they refuse to pay or don't respond you open a claim. You need to do this before your next guest arrives.

If you haven't done so already, do make sure you have CCTV to monitor your property to minimise the risk of your guests partying, bringing in extra guests or pets not on the booking. Also vet your guests to understand why they are travelling and why they chose your place.

I would be charging far more than $100 for that sort of damage surely you need to replace the door and pay for labour?

Finally leave an honest review. I wouldn't give a guest who did this more than 3 stars and probably lower because they didn't admit the damage and were disrespectful of your home.