Guest from upcoming reservation asked for my email address and then I got promptly bombarded with phishing emails.

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

Guest from upcoming reservation asked for my email address and then I got promptly bombarded with phishing emails.

Hi, I had a guest who will be arriving in two weeks ask for my email address for custom reasons...which I've never really heard of and have never needed to provide one going to other countries.  They are from France.

After sending her my email address about 12 hours later I was bombarded with phishing emails and emails about signing up for services like VPN. I've never been hit with this much spam/phishing in such a short amount of time.

She does have 10 reviews and has been on airbnb for 12 years but it just seemed way to coincidental.

I contacted airbnb and they said they can't do anything about it and for us to cancel it would cost us 25% of the reservation.

I literally do not feel comfortable from a safety perspective having them log-in to our wifi and being in our house.

What can be done here?  If they arrive I can say that I feel uncomfortable?  That seems a bit outrageous as well.

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Most likely a co-incidence.  @Michael2413 Just block and report the phising emails.

It seems rather a massive-overreaction to want to cancel the guests booking.

I did want to chalk it up to it being a coincidence. We all get spam emails from time to time. But i've had my email for 20+ years now and the sheer amount of spam is well past 200+ which has never happened.

And the request for an email for custom forms was odd from the jump. As citizen I don't know what it's like to travel to the states as a non-citizen but is it ever asked for?

Maybe it's a coincidence.