Guest stained sofa

Janne191
Level 2
Trondheim, Norway

Guest stained sofa

Hi everyone.

I'm new to hosting, and will just be doing it for the summer. Up until now I've had six guests (one of them have booked twice), and everyone has been lovely.

Yesterday a family left, and the cleaning was sub-par. This comes in addition to them arriving early to an already early check in, bad communication regarding check out, asking for a fifth guest to stay, which we accepted, but still bringing a sixth one without asking (just informing us about it), and not paying for parking until I requested it twice. Needless to say, I would not host them again.

The counter tops, fridge, floors and carpet were all visibly dirty, and the sofa was stained. It looks like they may have spilled some water/drinks, and also some food. We almost got the food stain out after trying lots of different products, but the water stains are still there, and the covers are not washable/replaceable.

I messaged him and told him about this, and asked if he had any idea what it may have been - as a sort of heads up that this might be reflected in my review, and that there may be a charge/fee for this. 

He answered something along the lines of "We travelled with kids, so who knows. Probably food or drink. It may have been .." No apology, no nothing.

Now I just need some advice - what would you do? In the event you charge for something like this; how much? It's not so much about the money, but the overall attitude, and the fact that this was just one more thing on the list of negatives.

Thankful for any help.

1 Reply 1

Hi @Janne191 ,

Dealing with a situation like this can be frustrating, especially when it involves multiple issues beyond cleanliness. Here’s how you can approach it effectively as an experienced Airbnb host:

1. Document Everything:

• Take detailed photos of the areas that were left dirty or stained. This documentation will serve as evidence if you decide to request a cleaning fee through Airbnb.
  2. Evaluate the Damage:

• Assess the extent of the cleaning required and any potential damage. Based on your description, it sounds like there are visible stains that may require professional cleaning or treatment.
  3. Communicate Clearly:

• Since you've already messaged the guest about the issues, keep a record of all communication. It’s good practice to communicate through Airbnb’s messaging system for documentation purposes.
  4. Consider Charging a Cleaning Fee:

• If the cleaning required exceeds normal turnover tasks and involves extra effort or professional cleaning, you can request a cleaning fee through Airbnb’s Resolution Center. Make sure to itemize the specific issues and costs incurred (if any) due to the guest’s actions.
  5. Set a Reasonable Amount:

• The amount you request should reflect the actual cost or effort required to rectify the cleaning issues. You can base this on the time spent cleaning or the cost of any products or services needed. Be fair but also assertive in covering your additional expenses or time.
  6. Leave an Honest Review:

• After resolving the cleaning issue, leave an honest and factual review reflecting your experience. Highlight both positive aspects (if any) and the issues you encountered, including cleanliness and communication problems. Future hosts will appreciate your transparency.

Remember, Airbnb’s Resolution Center is there to help resolve disputes like this. If the guest doesn’t agree to your request or if you encounter any difficulties, Airbnb’s support team can provide assistance. As an experienced host, maintaining clear communication and documentation is key to handling such situations professionally.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Upfish Management