Guest wants 15 days early check out

Guest wants 15 days early check out

I've been running Airbnbs for more than 6 years but I still can't decide what to do when a guest wants an earlier check-out than the original check-out date. 

This time, the guest reserved the room for 26 nights.

Today, which has been 8 nights since his check-in, the guest suddenly claimed that the ceiling of the bathroom is too low and it is uncomfortable for him to stay any longer.  I've had taller guests and never heard of this complaint before. I also clearly wrote the size of the bathroom in the Airbnb house description. 

This guest seems to be claiming the inconvenience of the house to get a refund for the remaining nights. 

The guest already sent me the check-out date change request. By agreeing to this, this guest will get a refund for the canceled nights in the middle of his stay. 

I asked the Airbnb resolution center.

The Airbnb staff said that he could talk to the guest to cancel the reservation and by doing this, the guest won't get any refund according to the cancellation policy, but if I change the check-out date, then the guest will get the refund.

What should I do? I'm afraid that if I don't accept his change request, he will leave a negative rating and review. 

One bad rating would risk my Super host status. I want to handle this issue according to the cancellation policy(I applied the "Firm" cancellation policy), but if I do it, the guest will definitely leave a bad rating. This is such a dilemma. 

2 Replies 2

@Jamie350 

This is an uncomfortable situation, for you and for your guest. 

Our personal policy is definitely not for everyone; however, we have adopted a "do unto others" way of living and of doing this very tricky & highly unpredictable "people business". We do not want anyone here who does not to want to be, for whatever reason. If they feel the need to make up an excuse about why they are uncomfortable, that is unfortunate,  but it is human nature. We'd hope they'd just tell us, so we can learn and improve, if there is an actual issue. With a long stay such as this, plans change, folks get restless. In any case, this would be pretty easy for us to decide - we'd just let them go. 

May this resolve easily for you, in an acceptable, comfortable fashion. Do please let us all know what you decide, and may you have an excellent and fun season!

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Jamie350 👋

Sorry to read of your experience but you've got some lovely support here from @Kitty-and-Creek0. I wondered how you got on and if you could send us an update, we'd love to know how you resolved it. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines