Guest wants full refund with last minute cancellation

Answered!
Scott1282
Level 2
Hansville, WA

Guest wants full refund with last minute cancellation

Hi, all - I am thankful for the opportunity to put this sticky question out there for feedback.

A guest suddenly wants to cancel an upcoming 45-day reservation at the beginning of August. The reservation was made five months ago at the beginning of February, and she is now stating that she thought my property was a lighthouse, despite the listing stating nothing of the sort. There is a photo of a nearby lighthouse in the listing.

AB&B is asking me to be generous and give a full refund. Problem is, the property has been off the market since February which means I have to hope that it will get booked quickly after the reservation is cancelled. On top of that, the booking is only available on a monthly basis since my HOA won't allow anything shorter than 30 days. I recently had a 60-day booking cut in half which left me with a 28-day gap I was unable to fill.

TBH I would rather eat part of the cost by offering a partial refund. What would be fair in this case?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

PS my property has 100% 5-star reviews, and I was just awarded Superhost status for the 4th or 5th year in a row.

Scott1282_0-1720733789779.jpeg

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Scott1282 I would ask the guest to cancel ASAP and then offer to refund to the extent you are able to re-let the space at short notice. The key is to get the guest to cancel and then they can't review you.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

Hi, Joan - it’s obvious that you did not read the description either. The space is not shared. It’s a fully independent wing of my house with a separate entrance.

Hi @Scott1282 

I actually did read the listing...I think perhaps you misunderstood my post?

I didn't say the listing was a shared space....I said the bed is in a common area inside the property and not in a separate room with walls and a door:

"What is a studio apartment?

A common studio apartment does not have a bedroom that is separate from the living room or kitchen."

Since your listing states "1 bedroom" guests might be expecting a separate bedroom with walls and a door where the bed is.  Your queen bed is in a common living space (near kitchen) and not in a separate room. 

Scott1282
Level 2
Hansville, WA

Hi I wanted to say thanks to all the Superhosts here who have contributed to this discussion. The guest decided to stick with the booking after being advised by an AB&B Ambassador. Not my preference, as I offered to refund half of the 6 week fee.

My concern now is that I have a guest who is stuck with a booking they didn't want. I can only hope that they have accepted that they have to bear responsibility for the error since they're a two-time AB&B user and simply did not know any better.

However, in response to those of you who urged me to change the listing in so many ways: some of your advice made sense, other suggestions would just be pandering to guests who don't take responsibility for their own errors in judgement. I feel pretty strongly since out of 50-60 bookings, this is the one and only time this type of situation has come up. Which tells me it's an outlier.

As for those urging blanket forgiveness: this guest did raise new issues at the last minute to try and get out of the booking, such as: the location was inconvenient, concerns about accessibility, etc. Completely disingenuous and fairly transparent.

Under the circumstances, I felt it was necessary to establish some boundaries since my experience as a host and an observer of human nature tell me that I have to make very sure that the guest clearly and unambiguously understands what to expect, so I followed up with a long list of just that. I also want them to know that casually cancelling a 5-month old reservation for a six week stay is completely unacceptable. For those of you who advocate caving to the whims of an indecisive guest, I don't play that game. Sorry. Think what you will.

PS: AB&B support for hosts sucks. Period. After hearing that the guest decided to keep the reservation, I inquired about my rights if I decided to cancel anyway. I would end up paying a $600 penalty, the original booking period would be blocked from any new reservations, and I would lose my Superhost status.