Guests abusing air-conditioning + hookups

Amira326
Level 2
Cairo, Egypt

Guests abusing air-conditioning + hookups

Hello! This is A from Cairo, Egypt. I'm a new host and my first guest experience has been stressful mainly due to their abuse of expensive electricity with the A/C switched running what seems to be 24/7 and lights turned on at all times.

They're checking out in one day and I've had to restrain myself from talking to them about it throughout their entire stay as I already mentioned mindful use of our limited power supplies  in my house rules. 

How does one deal with guests like that?

The other problem I've encountered is typically Gulf-based requests to reserve my Airbnb with one question: can i bring female friends? Can my girlfriend check in the apartment before my arrival? Do you accept unmarried couples? etc 

For context: Egyptian law requires that Egyptian and Arab guests present their marriage certificates when they check in hotels, so I'm seeing that there's now a growing community of Egyptian and Arab guests who think they can make Airbnb their alternative hook up option.

I've turned down such requests because I dont want my space to have that kind of reputation (or get in trouble with authorities) but also because that's not what Airbnb is about. But I have no control over same-sex guest reservations requests which can also be for hook ups - or just regular friends who want to travel together.

Thank you for reading and for your help!

3 Replies 3
Kimberly1100
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Make it clear in your listing that lights, TV's etc need to be turned off when they leave the room. Be very specific that excessive use of utilities will result in extra service charges. There is a section to add that. 

Make it a house rule then if they aren't following the house rules Airbnb will back you up in asking them to leave. 

Structure your listing to target corporate/ business professionals. To attract a higher quality of guests. 

Set you expectations in your description in a polite, professional, yet firm manner. 

Use chat GPT for assistance on that. 

Remember it's YOUR HOUSE. You call the shots. Yes, you need to be the hostess with the mostest but does not mean you have to tolerate behavior that makes you uncomfortable or is causing issues. 

Example: I was concerned about people drinking as I am in recovery. 7 years sober. I can't or didn't want not allow drinking at all. Who would book with me? I found tiny mini fridges at Walmart that hold a 12 pack. I took time to explain in my listing to please use those for any alcoholic beverages they wish to have during their stay. Not the main fridge out of respect of my 7 years sobriety. However, feel free to have the beverage of your choice while fixing your dinner or lounging in the backyard. Just please be sure to not leave any laying around. 

Not a single person has had a problem with it. Nor has it hindered my bookings. 

The more details you put in the description = less issues. Also, it deters the rif raf. They don't like rules. High quality people looking for high quality stays will read the forever long instructions and house rules and will appreciate the effort that was put into it. That right there says a lot. 

Thank you @Kimberly1100 ! But how do I request extra service charges for excessive use of facilities when that's not an option via Airbnb? Just ask the guests to pay on site?

And because I'm new,  I'm still at the early stage of attracting my first guests in order  to get at least 3 good reviews..

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Amira326 

Under house rules there is a section for "additional rules" where you can also explain these two issues to highlight them even more to guests.

If someone still uses too much electricity, you can click on that reservation and select the "request money" option to request extra money from the guest.