Guests don't tell about CheckIn time

Answered!
Alexandra2142
Level 1
Hamburg, Germany

Guests don't tell about CheckIn time

Hello everybody,

I've been experiencing the same problem again and again: I ask my guests to let me know the time they want to check in. I ask this question a few days before their arrival and I can see that they 've read my message but they don't answer. I can't always wait the whole day at home for the guest. I've been going through different articles written by airbnb but I haven't found any information if the guest is required to provide a time. Does someone know about this?

Regards
Alex

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I make it part of my IB booking conditions that guests need to share any approximate check in time. Some do, some I need to chase when they book. @Alexandra2142 

I've never in nine years of hosting and hundreds of guests had a guest not tell me when they are checking in. If you leave it till a couple of days before travel some may not see your message.

I certainly wouldn't wait in all day for guests. I have self check in for when I'm not in. Is this something you can offer? Do you text guests who don't respond to your messages on the platform.

Nowhere on your listing or house rules do you say guests need to let you know their check in time as you meet guests on arrival.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I make it part of my IB booking conditions that guests need to share any approximate check in time. Some do, some I need to chase when they book. @Alexandra2142 

I've never in nine years of hosting and hundreds of guests had a guest not tell me when they are checking in. If you leave it till a couple of days before travel some may not see your message.

I certainly wouldn't wait in all day for guests. I have self check in for when I'm not in. Is this something you can offer? Do you text guests who don't respond to your messages on the platform.

Nowhere on your listing or house rules do you say guests need to let you know their check in time as you meet guests on arrival.

Hello @Helen3 ,

thank you, that's a great idea to make it part of the booking conditions!

If guests haven't read my message, I text them. I used to ask guests about their check in time when they booked my acommodation but most of them did not know the time yet. So I thought it would be better to ask them a few days before their arrival when they have finalized their plans.

Self check in is a little bit difficult because I haven't found a good spot for a key box yet...

Right now I have a guest who is going to arrive tomorrow. I've asked him to let me know his check in time and I can see that he has read my message. He hasn't answered yet...

Regards
Alex

@Alexandra2142 

I  have a guest arriving tomorrow who would answer all my questions  but that,,  Another  host    so  he was like you say until 7 pm   are  you   changing that time?

I  transgrede very nicely..

I   do allow  check ins until 7 pm.    Like you  I have things to  do tomorrow including checking you  in..  An estimated time  of  arrival  helps me frame my day..

Then   he gave me  3 to 4 pm.   I  just said  thank    you   because I  just wanted  an    idea.

@Alexandra2142 

We are home share hosts, and required to be here at all times when guests are present.  That alone makes for few issues and a fairly flexible check in window. We have check in from 3 - 9 pm, which works for us, and is not too inconvenient for guests. We do always send a note a day or two ahead of arrival, with weather forecast, any road issues and we ask for them to give an ETA. Returning guests can arrive late if needed, they already know their way around the place. We leave the entrance unlocked and lights on. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0 
It's good that you can be present at that time. I have to go to work so it's not possible for me.

@Alexandra2142 

I understand. Then I'd make my check in time what works for me and my schedule.