Guests full of complaints—what to do?

Guests full of complaints—what to do?

Guest who checked in last night has several complaints right off the bat: fridge is noisy, Netflix is in Spanish—I asked previous guest to change it when they left but I guess they didn’t. 😞

(Still, it should be easy to change back), and finally, she says the place smells like cigarette smoke. I immediately am horrified and contact cleaning crew who said they smelled no smoke at all only hours ago. I messaged her saying I was upset and sorry to hear this, and would try to figure out why. The people we bought the house from last spring used to smoke but we have cleaned the carpets and sufficiently cleaned it out since then. No other guests have complained of smoke and we haven’t smelled it since last spring. And of course we have a very strict no smoking policy.

This guest did qualify it a little by saying that she is a breastfeeding mom so may be sensitive, but she is messaging us constantly—right now she still having trouble changing the tv back to English.

So far her experience has not be great. Should we comp her a night? Offer that they can stay another night free? Or not do anything like this? Is she just a complainer?

I’d like to avoid a bad review if possible. Would giving her something do that? Or will she still write a bad one? Or am I worrying too much?

35 Replies 35
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We have had guests like this. One gentleman went around and counted our light switches and wanted to know what an odd one turned on. Was worried the remote might need a battery and didn't see an extra pack immediately. The sink made a noise he was sure was something dire. The instructions for the TV remote were not working. This went on for days. He was always very polite but it was a constant barrage of little details and things that were either not issues at all, or issues only because he didn't read the house guide that addressed them in full. 

Finally in this case my husband took over the conversation. I hate to lean on that  but with some people, they really respond better to that "second voice." Its a well known customer service technique if you have a complainer. If you have someone you can "elevate" this to that might quiet your guest. But if not I would say something like "I am concerned that you aren't enjoying your stay as well as you might. What can I do to help?" I would not immediately throw out a refund, but see what she says. If she is just complaining to get one, she will mention it. If it seems reasonable to make the complaint stops, I would do it.  If she is unreasonable and obviously just looking for a freebie, I probably wouldn't.  You will get the poor review either way in the latter case. 

As far as your review I would say "So and so was a good communicator. I don't know that our accommodation was the best fit for her as she needed a lot of assistance, and this is a self-catering home. She would be better suited to a stay where hosts are very hands on, or a hotel."

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laura2592  @Sarah977 

Frankly in this situation I think you are being too kind Laura! Some guests don't respond to tact, you have to be upfront and say something like........"Most of our guests are wonderful, as you can see by their reviews but, nothing we offered or did for you was satisfactory, can't wait for you to get your arse out the front door........Hasta la vista....Adios.....move on 'cocklehead'!"

I am beginning to agree, we are being too soft on guests in the review process and Airbnb are feeding on this and encouraging guests to be overly critical in the review process.

I have been lucky, have only had one poor guest in the last 57, and I have always said hosts should be diplomatic with their review. But by God, the next one that crosses me is in for a taste of my literary skills.....or lack there of!!

I am beginning to think, dignity is worth more than diplomacy!

Cheers.......Rob

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@David-and-Annie0 

My advice would be let her stay for free, in fact you should pay her for the inconvenient you've caused her, that's sarcasm by the way.

I ask her to find a more suitable location, that would take the wind out of her sails.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@David-and-Annie0  your place is lovely! Just looked at it. 

Anyone who complains about such trivial things in that place has issues. Know that its them and not you. 

Alex893
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@David-and-Annie0 

It sounds like you already sent her the money, but make sure that going forward you don’t to the actual refund until the guest departs. There might be surprises when she checks out. You can tell her that’s that what you’re going to do, but don’t actually process it until the guest leaves. You can say that they can only refund her when the money actually gets dispersed to you or something along those lines if she questions it

You are not protected from a bad review even though she appears to be happy. She might be a righteous kind and  will still choose to give you four stars for example which I find in the end of the day becomes just as bad. As long as it’s not five stars it’s not good. I would be curious to see what she leaves. Please come back to update. 

@Alex893 She ended up not leaving a review at all—which I consider a win. Feel like I dodged a bullet. But I’ll take your good advice; if it ever happens again, I’ll wait until they leave to dispense the $. I should’ve thought of that! Thx!