Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Help! Airbnb Host Canceled Stay Midway, Demanded Payment to Rebook - Seeking Advice for Partial/Full Refund.

Help! Airbnb Host Canceled Stay Midway, Demanded Payment to Rebook - Seeking Advice for Partial/Full Refund.

Hello,

I recently booked a cottage on Airbnb, and during the first night of our stay, my friends and I were enjoying the arcade games provided by the host. Unbeknownst to us, there was a noise detector in the arcade area, which began to show red signals. The host tried to reach out to us, but we didn’t respond as our phones were away. When the host sent a security team to notify us about the noise, we immediately complied and went inside the cottage, without any further issues. I also apologized to the host for not responding earlier due to my phone being out of reach.

The next morning, without any prior warning or conversation, the host abruptly canceled our stay and instructed us to leave immediately. This put us in a very stressful situation, as many of my friends had traveled from different locations, and we had pre-booked flights. We also agreed that we would pay the fine and despite multiple requests, the host refused to let us continue our stay.

Later, the host privately messaged me, offering to let us stay if we rebooked the property as a new reservation and paid again. Having already paid for the full initial reservation, this felt unfair, especially since the host had canceled our stay without refunding anything. I reluctantly agreed and transferred the additional payment including the fine to his personal account, feeling pressured and taken advantage of.

Here are my main concerns:

1. If we had truly caused a problem, why would the host allow us to stay by negotiating a higher rate privately? This behavior feels manipulative.

2. The noise detector was positioned too close to the arcade games, making it inevitable that it would pick up sound even when we were just playing. This setup seems unfair to any guest using the arcade.

3. The abrupt cancellation caused significant stress for all of us, especially since there was no proper conversation or warning. We acknowledged our mistake in not responding and apologized, but canceling our stay in the middle of the trip without a proper discussion seems excessive.

Given these circumstances, I am seeking a partial refund to account for the significant inconvenience and additional costs incurred during our stay.

3 Replies 3
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Anvesh3 

I am sorry but you mention a payment to the Host's personal account.  Airbnb always promotes to Host and Guests accepting an invitation  off platform no protection can be offered.A Host does have to disclose a Noise Monitor but not in their description.  You will. find view under Safety,

I would validate if your reservation was canceled.Airbnb does not allow a Host to just randomly cancel.  Even severe issues Hosts argue with Airbnb,  A sudden cancelation because you were too loud just doesn't fit normal procedures.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Anvesh3 

@Marie8425 makes a good point, you could have an argument against the host if you can show that the noise monitor was not properly disclosed in the listing. The host will likely respond that you broke the rules regarding noise.

However, you are unfortunately both in breach of Airbnb's terms and conditions. The host was completely in the wrong by asking you to pay (double!) off platform, but unfortunately you agreed and did so. It could be difficult for both of you to convince AIrbnb to take your side.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately you can't expect any help from Airbnb if you made a private arrangement with the host outside of their platform. It would have been better to contact Airbnb if there was no notification on the listing about the noise detector @Anvesh3 

what fine are you referring to and why did the host ask you to pay again if you already paid ? 

you say you felt pressured into paying again but you could have found a hotel or other self catering