Host changing my reservation without my consent?

Answered!
Larry144
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Host changing my reservation without my consent?

I booked a reservation for 2 months next February and March in Florida.  The host accepted my booking request and I paid Airbnb approximately 50% of the total cost.  The host's property is located at a timeshare property.  A few days later the host sent us a confirmation email from the timeshare.  It listed him as the guest and the villa was for a smaller unit.  It was nothing like the reservation shown on our account.

We immediately contacted the host and said we did not wish to accept the changed reservation.  Airbnb policy does not obligate a guest to accept a change after the reservation is made.  The host ignored our messages. 

We then got Airbnb involved who contacted the host and advised that he could not change the reservation without our consent.  After some discussion, we were advised by Airbnb that the host would honour the original reservation.  We asked the host to confirm this by providing confirmation from the timeshare property showing us as the registered guest and the property details.  The host ignored our requests.

We contacted Airbnb again and advised of the situation.  While I was messaging with the Case Manager I checked my account and found that my trip itinerary had been changed.  It had literally changed while speaking to the Case Manager.  I immediately messaged the Case Manager back, but she suddenly and curiously went off the line.   A day later she closed the conversation.  The message stated the support case was closed.  Why would the Case Manager close the case when such a serious breach had occurred?

Airbnb policy requires a host to submit a change request to the guest before any changes to the reservation can be made.  There was no change request submitted.  The change curiously and suddenly occurred while speaking the Case Manager.   How can my trip itinerary on my account be changed without my consent?  Who has the authority and capacity to do so?

I have advised Airbnb of this serious breach of security, but have received no answers.  

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

So your concern that you have brought to this forum, @Larry144 is not what to do about this host but who can change the reservation.  Air BNB reps have the administrative power to make those changes.  As previously advised by several hosts, it would be in your best interest to seek to speak with another Air BNB rep; request penalty-free cancellation and application of the payment to another listing, unless you want a full refund and try another venue to book through.  Good luck!!

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

So sorry you have encountered this terrible host. Please flag/report their Airbnb listing and profile, and try messaging @airbnbhelp on twitter for better resolution, and/or keep calling Airbnb CS until you get a competent rep. Do you still want to stay with this host? In your position I would push for a penalty-free cancellation and rebook with someone else.

Thx Lisa.  I have asked Airbnb three times to cancel and provide full refund.  Airbnb hold payments until 24 hours after checking in.  So they have my money, but continue to try to work with a host who has violated numerous Airbnb standards.  I do not understand why the delay

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Larry144  I would have AIrBnB cancel this reservation penalty free as it is not what you booked. I would not want to stay with this host either. Look for another place you can rent you're going to get screwed over by this host as he clearly is not honest. As @Lisa723 said report both the listing and the host. 

Letti,

Thx for your support.  I have asked Airbnb three times to cancel the reservation.  It is Airbnb policy to hold the guests payment until 24 hours after check-in.  So they have my money and have complete control on providing a refund.  I especially do not understand the delay given the host has purposedly misrepresented his listing and mislead people of his intention.

Larry

@Larry144  There are all kinds of situations in which Airbnb definitely doesn't hold the guest's payment until 24 hours after check-in. Contact support again, tell them you want a penalty-free cancellation becuase of the host's bait and switch and refusal to communicate with you. You should have your money refunded. If you don't get a competent support person, don't argue with them, just thank them for their time and try again until you get someone who knows what they're doing and is well-versed in policy.

Thx Sarah.  I appreciate the advice.  

My question to the Community is, "who can change a guests itinerary in their account?"  I would assume it is only Airbnb as they maintain their system.  Normally, a trip itinerary would only be changed  after a host made a change request and the guest accepted the change. 

In this case there was no change request and I have repeatedly advised Airbnb and the host I would not accept a change in reservation. 

One of the most troubling issues I have now is the fact the change occurred while messaging with the Case Manager.  And the fact she suddenly went off line and closed the support case when I questioned her about how it had changed.  I've messaged the Trust & Safety brance of Airbnb twice and both times they closed the message without providing a response to my concern.

What is going on AIRBNB?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

So your concern that you have brought to this forum, @Larry144 is not what to do about this host but who can change the reservation.  Air BNB reps have the administrative power to make those changes.  As previously advised by several hosts, it would be in your best interest to seek to speak with another Air BNB rep; request penalty-free cancellation and application of the payment to another listing, unless you want a full refund and try another venue to book through.  Good luck!!

Thx Linda for the message. I agree getting another rep involved may been best.