Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host thought an apology was acceptable for a non working toilet

Justin1701
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Host thought an apology was acceptable for a non working toilet

We recently had an Airbnb and upon arrival at 1830hrs we discovered that the main apartment toilet was not working and only the toilet in our en-suite was working.   We were staying with guests in the apartment and they then had to use our en-suite.   I contacted the host and they said they would try and get a plumber out.   Plumber never arrived and the next morning I simply received an apology and nothing more.

I have requested a 50% refund as if the time had been earlier we'd have simply walked out the door and booked two hotel rooms.   How can a host think that an apology is acceptable when I have paid £240 for one night? 

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Oh so this was late in the day and the host couldn't find a plumber that evening, did one come the next morning? Was you stay for one day?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

/Toilet rant:

My personal opinion on the subject of the common toilet: the mechanics of 99% of them remains still very silly for a century (invented in 1906 mind you) that it defies common sense since they are still very critical in 3 areas: the bottom flapper doesn't start to sit properly, the chain falls off, or the big float spins and the toilet starts 'running (meaning over spilling down the tube that prevents flooding the whole bathroom).

Every human on Earth needs to be taught how to at least temporarily easily 'fix' one at grade school to prevent a show stopper and in this case a 50% claim against an Airbnb stay. See: https://www.thespruce.com/the-parts-of-a-toilet-4145300.

/done with rant

Justin1701
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Slight issue.  It was a hidden cistern with the top silicone sealed down.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

You arrived late and a plumber could not be dispatched given the arrival hour.  While inconvenient, you still had one working toilet that needed to be shared for one night.  IMO it was not an emergency situation or a situation that warrants a 50% refund. 

Karen
Justin1701
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

So you think it's acceptable that I pay the full price for the accommodation?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No I think you're massively overreacting by wanting half your money back because you and your friends had to share a toilet for one night @Justin1701 

a bottle of wine and chocolates or breakfast on the host the next day would be an appropriate 

in what world do you live in where you think it would be easy to find a plumber willing to come at after working hours for a same night repair. 

sorry I think you come across as entitled