Host walked into apartment unannounced - while I was asleep. Is there any policy to prevent this?

Leonie53
Level 2
Netherlands

Host walked into apartment unannounced - while I was asleep. Is there any policy to prevent this?

The host coming into the apartment unannounced is what I'm wondering about. I experienced this two days ago as a guest while renting an apartment in Italy - NB: I rented the entire apartment. I was asleep, and granted, it was around 10AM so indeed it was late in the morning. But as I had been traveling overnight the entire night prior to that, I was exhausted. I woke up in shock when the host walked into my bedroom and put on the light. She was clearly shocked too and felt very embarrassed, and she apologized. She said she had forgotten something out of her apartment that she needed. (She rents out her entire apartment that she normally lives in). I felt embarrassed too and I didn't want her to feel too uncomfortable, so I apologized too, as I had not heard her ring the doorbell. (I sleep with earplugs and I'm not a light sleeper, so I had not woken up from the doorbell). Frankly I also didn't mention it in the review I left, as I felt the host was kind. Yet, I still feel a bit unhappy about the entire situation. For one: my telephone was lying next to my head, and she had not called to warn or ask if she could come in. She had not sent an email either. Secondly: I was not fully dressed, as I was lying in bed. If she had walked in just a bit later for all I know I could have just walked out of the shower. I don't feel really comfortable about this situation, plus: albeit not with this host, in general I see some safety issues in this as a female traveling on my own.  Third: my belongings were in the apartment including passport, wallet etc, and although I trust the host (let that be clear: I do think she is a reliable person), I don't find it a very comfortable idea someone would be walking around when I'm not there without first informing me.
Overall, it made me wonder if there is any policy with this regard, to avoid that I or any other guest runs into a similar situation in the future. Thanks a lot!

32 Replies 32

@Debbie574 was this before or after check out time?

Similar here. We have a whole house with a small unfenced yard. On day one the owner showed up with a gardener. He thought it a good idea to set up a camp chair and sit in the sun for a while. I messaged him that night regarding privacy. Day 2 another man in a high viz vest is pacing  in the backyard - he said that he was to meet the owner there to change some locks !  Now the privacy issue is that anyone can see through the window while we' re in the kitchen but more importantly the kitchen is a thoroughfare to the shower which all my young adult children were using. There's also a caged bird in the backyard so clearly some one is coming everyday ! This is on top of cleanliness and misrepresentation issues. We are in W.A. any ideas ?

@Debbie574  Certainly a host or their partner shouldn't walk in on you without prior notice. But a full refund? Why? Did you not stay there, use the hot water, the toilet paper, the bedding, the towels, and all else that was provided? Did you not have a decent stay until this incident which happened an hour before check-out while you were packing up? It's not like the guy walked in on you in the middle of the night. 

Illegal? No. It surprised and upset you, and it wasn't respectful, but there's nothing illegal about it. 

And of course he had access to the rental. Are you under the impression that a host, their co-host, or their partner/husband wouldn't have keys or codes to their own property? That's absurd. What if there was an emergency and you weren't home? A burst water pipe, a fire? Do you think if you stay in a hotel that the cleaning staff and management don't have a way to get in the room?

As a host as well as a frequent guest I find this to be a serious violation of privacy as well as concerning and would at the very least write these concerns that you have expressed in your review. I would never assume because a guest might be away from the property that I have any right to enter unless I asked for permission in advance to address an issue or if the guest has invited me in to show me an issue. 

I feel the same as the OP. If a host does come in unannounced or behind our back when we've gone out, what punishment does airbnb lay out? I think banning the host permanantly is useless since ythey can create a 2nd or a 3rd account. There's no ID check, you just need an email & date of birth to register as a host!

@Dave507 what "punishment" would you like to see?

"Punishment" is a strong word. Airbnb could remove the listing. But that won't stop a "bad" host from posting the listing with a 2nd account ( hosts don't need ID they can create an account with just their email & DOB)

I don't think hosts need a 2nd key.  Honestly why do you hosts need a spare key for?

I think for each property there should just be 1 key. At check in, the host hands over the key to the guest. Then at the end of the stay the guest gives  the key. back. 

If I, as a guest, was to lose the key. I can then call the locksmiths to unlock the door, I'd even pay for it! 

I think this is the solution. That way there's no intrusion of privacy or lack of privacy

@Dave507  No homeowner wouldn't have keys to their own property. That's a ridiculous idea that there would only be one key in existence. As I said above, what would happen if there were an emergency situation and the guest was out? The host is just supposed to stand there watching water flooding out under the door, or smoke coming out the windows or have to break the door down? If you stay in a hotel, the cleaners and management have access to all the rooms. 

Yes homeowners have 1 key. Having 2 keys is unnecessary. 1 key is enough! 

As for when there's a fire or flooding, it's actually recommanded to not interfere or you shouldn't try and turn off the fire by yourself.

If you know about fire safety rules, I quote: 

• "If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and  CALL 9-1-1 or your local emergency phone number.
  • Yell "Fire!" several times and go outside right away. If you live in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Leave all your things where they are and save yourself.
  • If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to the touch."  

https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire/if-a-fire...

So in the event of a fire in the apartment you're renting next door or upstairs for example, you mustn't try and enter the apartment as the handle will be warm. You'd need to leave your property straight away  & call the fire engine & let the firefighters deal with it to put off the fire. Afterall it's their job!

@Dave507   Yeah, no.  It's the host's property, they will and should always have their own key.  Not only because guests may lose the key, but for emergencies and because it's their property.  If people don't feel comfortable with a host having their own key to an airbnb, then maybe travel is not for such folks, hotels can get in your room when you aren't there also and sometimes when you are there, too. 

But the difference is hotels don't abuse this and if they did they have a lot more to loose.

If a hotel has people come in unannounced they may be liable. And if there were ever an "emergency", a true emergency, they would probably involve the authorities rather than just bust in themselves.

Personally I think it's this simple. What constitues an emergency needs to be well defined by airbnb. Because the home owner can really use that term loosely and that's not right. What qualifies as an emergency should not be soley up to the host.

If the host violates privacy policy, the ADDRESS should be blacklisted for a set period of time, only to be removed from the list if account holders can prove ownership switched hands or a set period of time had elapsed. Not just the account disabled. 

The time period should be long enough to cost the host enough money and business to where they will actually think twice about what qualifies as an emergency etc.

Just my two cents. I know I'm late but other people may read this.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Out of respect to guests, I don't believe a host should ever enter a guests space (unless it's shared or their is a major issue, emergency ect). Also if I absolutely needed in I would use all forms of communication via message them on Airbnb, call their cell first to try to reach them & then knock on their door & would never enter without verbal/written permission. 

@Andrea-and-Francis0  In a place I co-host, it is an entire place. For more than one week long rental, we do perform clean-up and pick up trash by asking the guests to enter the house.

@Mike1034 yes that would be completely acceptable as I am guessing you communicate this with your guests about entering to clean so they know ahead of time or it's written in your listing/house rules. I think guests appreciate open & friendly communication or notice with hosts so their are no surprises 🙂

Kailee3
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

This just happened to me. Someone came in while I was showering. They left the door open too. There are stairs leading up to the loft area that I am in. There is another door that locks to be secure. It was so weird. I want to report it to airbnb. I was showering....