Inauthentic Review from Guest

Kanika10
Level 2
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Inauthentic Review from Guest

I recently hosted a guest that stayed 2 nights in one of my listings. After his stay, he provided a negative review (2 stars overall, 1 star on accuracy, 2 stars on Value). His review claimed that I misled guest because one of the facilities (Infinity Rooftop Pool) is not exactly as advertised, small, not for swimming, and doesn't match the listing photos. In reality, it was because he was confused and misunderstood the decorative tank at a rooftop bar as an actual the swimming pool, even though I have provided detailed directions at Check-In Message, 24/7 staffs at reception on standby, and my listing include both areas and marked differently. 

The swimming pool is a 360 rooftop infinity rooftop pool, so it could not access with an elevator. Guests go up to Rooftop and get to the bar area, and go up the stairs to reach Indoor Gym, Changing Area and then Infinity Pool. I provided this description at check-in, the premises have plenty signs/directions to guide guests as they also operated several floors as  a hotel as well. Again 24/7 receptionists and guards, plus the decorative tank has an artificial waterfall that they play with some lights in the evening when the bar operates. There are also plenty staffs (waiters and bartenders) at this area where he misunderstood the tank for the pool. I personally think it was very hard to confuse a tank to a pool.

And frankly, I am very baffled and offended by this review. As I understood, it is inauthentic, irrelevant and provide no information or experiences to the future guests because the misunderstanding was completely due to the guest's own incapability to read provided directions and inability to ask questions to me or any staffs. It is extremely harmful to my reputation, my listing ratings and slanderous and defamatory in nature.

I provided guests with everything I could, and I am taking a brunt for a guest's own misunderstanding? Airbnb said they cannot remove this review because it doesn't violate guidelines. I have received  2-3 cancellations since the review went up. I feel like Airbnb is not providing with any support, even though I am now a superhost and I have clear evidence that this is a bogus review. Airbnb wants hosts and guests to trust their review systems but allow what can only conclude as a false accusation to stay on its platform and ruin host efforts and future businesses.

P.S. The guest never communicate with me before, during or after the stay.

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kanika10 Sadly there is nothing you can do with Airbnb about this review. What you can do is send a message to Hubert very politely explaining where the infinity pool is and how damaging his review is for you. If you ask him very nicely he might be willing to ask Airbnb to delete this review.

Oh wow! So Airbnb does not remove review that can prove to be a bogus review? There’s not one shred of truth and I’m being called basically a scammer because I supposedly misleading guests when the guest himself could not bother to read my instructions and follow any signs on the premises! Everything matches description and listing photos.

I have tried to communicate with guest, however he never responds to me since the very message that I welcome him to my listing. Basically, I have zero communication with him.

I’m so upset because I got 2-3 cancellations after this negative review that is not my fault.

@Kanika10 You have done all you can by leaving a response to the review. I believe guests will look at your other reviews and ignore this one given that you have answered it. Rightly or wrongly it is now time to put this behind you and move on.