Information for guests

Kay2020
Level 1
Hutchinson, MN

Information for guests

As a person who has stayed in AirBnB's for over 15 years, I would like to know when the custom of leaving information for the guests was discontinued - a notebook, etc. that would list nearby restaurants (with menus), closest grocery store, gas, favorite things to do, check out instructions, etc. -  in favor of "google it" or "message the host"? 

The 'welcome' packet was much preferred over the current method of communication. 

6 Replies 6
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kay2020  So many hosts rely on the electronic offerings of various OTAs.  I complete an online "Guide/House Manual" for my listing, but a copy of the same with a LOT MORE information is printed out and sitting in a Book on the credenza in the cabin.  My guests will also leave menus and pamphlets that they have collected during their stay in the credenza drawer for the next guest.

Most of my guests use the printed-out Book to find the information they want without resorting to phone or internet searches.  I never hear anything about the usefulness of the online guide, but the Book is very much appreciated and praised.

We are in the hospitality business, and we should offer our guests multiple forms of information.  

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Kay2020 

Hosts have guidebooks on their Airbnb profiles that are meant to contain this type of information (click on the host profile, not everyone uses this feature). The check-out instructions are also meant to be in the listing and sent to the guest at checkout time. I think the idea is not to remove the information, but to have it in digital format so it will (hopefully!) be more up to date. One can, of course, leave hard copies as well.

Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Kay2020, first of all, we have Guidebooks in our Airbnb profile that contain a lot of useful information.

Also, for example, in Portugal, local authorities require all hosts to have a special Information book for guests in at least 4 languages. In this book you can find the information about everything (touristic attractions, cafes, restaurants, bars, local transport, parkings, children playgrounds, hospitals, grocery stores, laundries and much more). 

The host can make this Information Book himself or buy a ready one (ready Information books are available for different regions and cities).

Kind regards.

Elena. 

Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Kay2020 

Good question - I'm sure it is up to the host.....

We have a "guidebook"attached to our listing, and offer Q&A to our guests in the message thread before arrival. When our guests arrive, there is a selection of pamphlets, maps, and binders in the space. We are also available for "concierge" service. It is about hospitality for us. 

Happy Travels!

Kitty

Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Kay2020 

It depends on the host. I believe a lot of people feel that in this age of smart phones and the internet people can just look it up. It’s always nice to have the low down on the local spots for food with insider tips on what to order or where to park. I provide an electronic guidebook that I initially spent over 40 hours on then have continued to add to over time. This has local parks, attractions, restaurants, nearby towns, ski options, hiking options, shopping, movie theatres, and more. I also message the guests asking them if they have questions, ask them what brings them to the area and am more than happy to research and give them recommendations. Someone once asked for great BBQ place so I embarked on a mission asking friends and researching online (as I only knew of 2 in the area). I ended up giving the person 6 options depending on how far they wanted to drive and what style they were looking for. I do provide local take out menus in the space as well. 

We send check out instructions in a message sent to the guest the day before check out and they can easily access it on their app too. It’s simple and easy (place the trash and recycling in their respective bins (we take it out after you leave), turn off the lights, close the windows, lock the door, check to make sure you didn’t leave anything behind). The check out time is noted on my welcome board as well as on the check out message. 

It really is host dependent on how all of the above is handled. Perhaps you can message your host and ask them where this is or suggest they have a binder with this information in it left in the unit for reference for the people who like to unplug or are old fashioned (I still like to read binders, guestbooks, printed guides to the are when traveling as well as reading online suggestions).  Hosts may have stopped using printed items during the pandemic as that would have been one more thing to keep clean.

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Kay2020 

Certainly not discontinued in my case😉 - I have a guest welcome book in the form of a binder with all the details that you list!!  I'm glad to hear that you prefer this paper version as a guest and I receive positive feedback for providing one from my guests too😊  It took me ages to compile and I update it from time to time

As others have said, each host has their own style in hosting ...