My tiny house

Rosebud0
Level 1
Warwick, RI

My tiny house

Hi, I am getting a lot of interest, inquiries and guests looking to book my remodeled tiny house. The problem is…most of the guests are new and have no reviews or info. Any help on how to deal with this is much appreciated. It’s a long term rental. 31 days or more. 

Thanks and have a good night.

Roz

6 Replies 6
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rosebud0, great question!

I am reaching out to some fellow hosts to ask for their advice on this situation: @Peter4167@Sussy0@Jamie600@Steven1482 @Katarzyna87@Jim-and-Caroline0 and @Oksana127.

I look forward to reading their valuable suggestions.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Rosebud0 …Being in Tennessee and about an hour drive of Blue Oval City which is where the new Ford plant went in, we had several inquiries about renting our home for 3 to 6 months. We are a

small family business where our son is the housekeeper so we keep the cleaning fee to a minimum. The longest guest we had was 2 weeks. Worked out well but we have come to learn that over night travelers need a place to stay even for one night. That two week guest we had was wonderful but our cleaning fee is per stay and at the time, the housekeeper made $50 for those two weeks. But we bounced right back with single night stays which put a smile on the housekeepers face. Since then we have had to raise that fee but still the cheapest for a 2100 sq ft house. Needless to say, we turned down the long term rental inquiries. We rented our personal home for 8 years and moved back into it 3 years ago and I am still working on the house. I would get a hefty deposit. 

Sussy0
Level 2
Fairfax, VA

Hi @Rosebud0 I would take those reservations if I was you, if you have the house rules clearly marked in your ad and then I wouldn't worry about any issues arising, and in case anything goes wrong then you follow file a claim, I would also remove any personal things that you do not want to get damaged or lost, any memorabilia that it's irreplaceable, just leave the decor as simple as possible, everything is going to be fine, 9 years in Airbnb so far!  

@Rosebud0 We took our chances with some first timers.

The thing is everyone has to start somewhere and have their first time ever renting Airbnb.

What we did was messaging the bookers before approving the reservation, with all questions we had to establish what kind of guests they would be. 

Also when you start chatting in more informal manner you may get a "feel" for the people you are chatting with.

I trust my gut, if something feels off I don't hesitate to decline. 

But so far everyone we accepted as first timer proved to be an exceptional quality guest and we were delighted to host them. 

Oksana127
Level 8
Riga, Latvia

Hi @Rosebud0 

It's great to hear that your remodeled tiny house is getting a lot of interest! I understand the concern about receiving inquiries from guests who are new and don’t have reviews. Here are a few tips on how to handle this situation, especially for long-term bookings:

1. Set Clear Requirements: Make sure your house rules and guest requirements (such as verified ID, profile picture, and a detailed message from the guest) are clearly outlined in your listing. This helps filter out guests who may not be serious or willing to follow your rules.

2. Ask Questions: When you receive an inquiry from a new guest, feel free to ask them more about themselves, the purpose of their stay, and why they chose your property. You can use this information to get a better sense of their intentions and if they'd be a good fit for your space.

3. Short-Term Trial: For long-term stays (31 days or more), consider offering a shorter trial period, like a week or two, to new guests without reviews. This way, you can see how they treat your property and ensure it’s a good fit for both of you before committing to a longer term.

4. Security and Terms: Ensure you have a clear cancellation policy, house rules, and a security deposit in place. This adds an extra layer of protection in case anything goes wrong.

5. Communicate Clearly: Encourage open and honest communication from the start. How guests respond to your questions and the level of detail they provide can be a good indicator of how they will behave during their stay.

It's always a bit of a leap of faith with new guests, but by following these steps, you can minimize risk and feel more confident in your booking decisions.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Greg2406
Level 10
Rockport, TX

@Rosebud0 

Roz, apologize in advance for the short answers. 

Have the perspective guests provide details of most recent 2 year residences, with names and phone numbers of the property managers or owners and then call them.  

Several web sites for you to do an independent background checks.   We do this on every tenant.  And you can add this fee to the listing for all LT stays.  Usually around $30-$40.    

Have a lease contract for the long term stay that is separate from the platforms booking reservation.   Check your states regulatory guidelines as it concerns rentals over 30 days.

Have a minimum of an inspection / maintenance inside the residence of every 2 to no more than 4 weeks apart.  Any issues as to how the tenant is keeping up with the space, document it via the platforms message board, being sure to include pictures and if necessary, videos.  

Require a damage insurance to be taken by the tenant for the duration of the booking.  

IM me for further suggestions.   Good luck.