Re Florida Hurricane Ian and losing ones Superhost

Answered!
Terry241
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Re Florida Hurricane Ian and losing ones Superhost

I am writing on behalf of a friend who has been a super host for several years and always has 5 star reviews on renting out her Condo on Little Gasparilla Island in South West Florida at Hideaway Bay through Air B and VRBO.

Last October catastrophe struck Hurricane Ian decimated much of the South West Coast, and some barrier islands. Sanibel and Little Gasparilla amongst them. Hideaway Bay which consists of several condo buildings each with 10 units, many of the buildings had roofs ripped off , stairs washed away and much more damage and devastation, the clean up was monumental, and the re construction is still going on, all units having have everything ripped out to the bare bones, due to mold its a mammoth project. 

Therefore all seasonal rentals had to be cancelled, and further ones for the future until the area is habitable.

This has caused owners considerable loss of income, BUT besides this there are being penalized and stripped of their Super host status because of no reviews and cancellations 

Surely Air B N B should take in to account these situations, just like they did during COVID, my friend has been on the phone repeatedly to with  Air b, sorting cancellations, explaining its not her fault its weather related and no one seems to be compassionate to her plight.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

Terry

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Terry241 ,

It's very unfortunate that this happened to your friend!

Even though there are various criteria that must be met to qualify for Superhost status, would it be possible for you to share a link to your friend's Airbnb profile? This way, I can pass along their concerns and your feedback to the appropriate teams.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Terry241 ,

It's very unfortunate that this happened to your friend!

Even though there are various criteria that must be met to qualify for Superhost status, would it be possible for you to share a link to your friend's Airbnb profile? This way, I can pass along their concerns and your feedback to the appropriate teams.

-----

Thank you Bhumika 

thank you for responding, this is Karin Leereveld's Air b link. She also has been renting on Vrbo for the past 20 years before Air B started. I hope that you can help her. Hurricane  Ian destroyed much of Hideaway Bay on Little Gasparilla Island, FL  and as yet there is no for see able date when the home away from home can be used, or rented out. 

Very sad to loose this slice of paradise. 

thanks

Terry

https://abnb.me/G2V7SlMm1yb

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Terry241 ,

Although we cannot promise anything here, but I have made sure to pass on their concerns to the related teams, if they can get back to Karin regarding this matter. 

-----

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's always awful for hosts when they are not able to host because of war such as is the case with Ukraine, floods in Bangladesh or hosts in Florida and the Caribbean affected by hurricanes for example. @Terry241 

In your situation I would advise your friend not to worry about her SH status. Most guests don't know what it is and Airbnb no longer puts SH's higher up in the rankings so it has little value. 

Hi @Terry241  I feel your pain! I experienced a 6' surge from Hurricane Ian totally wiping out my ground floor and 100% of seasonal rentals. Just last month i was able to complete the repairs and relaunch our link. I used key word search South West Florida in hopes to find a forum of other HOSTS possibly discussing thoughts and forecasts for the 2023 winter season. Surprisingly (or maybe not so much)  there seems to be no local group and no other topics other than yours. If anyone has come across others please let me know. Good luck 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/47253152?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1688841318_MWxuPex...