Refund?? No Water or AC

Shelly342
Level 1
Atwood, IL

Refund?? No Water or AC

Our family have been staying at a beautiful AirBNB while our daughter plays in a softball tournament. Our host has been very helpful to work with, however this is a 6 night stay and when we arrived the air conditioner was not properly working. Our host explained they had a found a leak and a new unit would be put in the following day. At one point the rental was 85 degrees!! The next day we did have a couple of guys show up and replace the unit. It took them approximately 4 hours and we basically hid out in our bedrooms while they worked all afternoon. It rained that day so our softball plans had been changed. We are now on day 4, the air works great but we have not had any running water all day. I contacted the host and she said that she was aware and that the water company said the water would need to be off for a couple of hours today. It is now 4:00 and we have not had water since 8:00 this morning. I decided to call the water company myself and they explained a whole water line was being replaced and they had no time estimate for completion. They hoped by tonight, but for sure some time tomorrow. We love our condo, but have been inconvenienced quite a bit during our stay. The host has apologized, but not offered any type of refund. Should I ask for one? Or a partial one? Just wanted thoughts on this. Thanks!   

3 Replies 3

Hi

I'm sorry you have been impacted!

As a host with these significant impacts, I would be immediately offering a partial refund. I have done so when oven has failed, roof has leaked over a bed, etc etc.These are impacting events just like no water or A/C working. I think what is fair is at least 2 nights free given you have a 6 night stay.

I had a TV stop working, but that I did not refund for. There was another TV in another lounge room. And I replaced in 24 hrs on Day 2 of their Day 7 stay.

Guests know these things are usually outside host control, but it is still impacting their stay, and it is the cost for the host of doing business. 

Because the host hasn't indicated anything, you have every right to mark them down in the review if they don't offer some compensation. Definitely ask, its a shame that you have to, and see how you go. Don't do your review until you have some resolution you are happy with. You have 14 days, if you don;t get any money back from host, then you can do a review of host indicating that they didn't satisfactorily resolved some major issues and complain to airbnb to see if you can get some money back. I don't know if this will work, haven't had this happen to me.

Was this a super host? It sounds like not? I only ever book with super hosts as I expect a superior level of guest service.

Hope this helps]

Regs

MK

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Shelly342 👋

Sorry to hear about your recent stay. @Mary1523 has left a comment for you below. Did you have an opportunity to read it? Have you made a decision about what to do? 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Full refund for any of the impacted days.