Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Erica957  Stop talking to him. This is a 100% scam.

Unfortunately, I have fallen for this scammer Fabio Terran and am having problems trying to get my money back: wish I had found this chain of posts !

Jo-Anne26
Level 1
Seremban, Malaysia

Hi All,

Thought I should share my experience as well. I wasn't sure if it was a scam but I cancelled my reservation for a peace of mind.

I was looking for a place to stay in Stuttgart, Germany for  a month.  The location of the place was excellent it was 20 minutes away from the city centre and it was only going for 248 euros per month. Furthermore, he had 2 reviews. One positive and the other not so positive. So I made my booking and the host accepted it. After that, I received my confirmation and noticed that the address listed was Fruchtstrasse , Hedelfingen , Stuttgart but the directions to the property was Meisseer Weg, Bad Rappenau, Heilbronn, which is 2 hours away form the original booking.

I then did a bit of sleuthing and noticed that the street view of the address on Google Maps did not match the photographs published on AirBnB.  Furthermore, the host said he will not be there personally to let me into the property and he will give me access to the property via a keysafe on the check-in day itself. 

I hope you will find my experience helpful.

@Jo-Anne26  The keysafe thing isn't an issue- lots of hosts offer self-check-in with a keysafe or a keypad.

But that the photos didn't match the address certainly makes it appear to be a scam. I really hope you reported this to Airbnb, besides just cancelling- they need to be made aware.

thank you for this thread. you probably saved me 2000 chf. saw this apartment in homegate.ch and they approached me via WhatsApp up-do with the examples above script: living abroad, deposit first, viewing thereafter, refunding full or contract. what amazes me is that they used very obvious language pertaining to a completely amateur scam.

Hii

I've been gerting mails too. Luckily i did research and found this site 

This is an example. Ive seen some more and they change only a few thing . : 

Hello,

My name is Sylvia Stern and I am the co-owner of STERN RENTALS, we wanted to open a shop in Netherlands and we bought this apartment now, we want to rent the apartment, due to this fact, we offer our apartment for rent from 2 months up to as long as you need! 
The apartment is located in.........Netherlands. It has 3 bedroom, bathroom, fully equiped kitchen and a total of 75m2.
The rent per month is €600 (for the whole apartment) there are no additional costs also all the utilities are included.
As I said earlier, we now are in Bramhall, we are the only one's who have the keys and papers, but we need to find a solution for this problem so that you can move as fast as possible in the apartment. We sent you photos right now they are attached to this email.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon!  

Show quoted text

Hello Riendella, 

You can register at the address ( at City Hall ) . Also pets are accepted.
In the price of 600 EUR are included: cable , wifi. electrify, water.
We also have a basement there so you can take out anything you don't like or need.
The apartment is ready for you, you will only have to receive the keys and the contract to check it and see if you like it! In order of that, We found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast so you will receive the keys and papers in less than 3 days. Regarding the monthly payments we want to receive them in our company bank account, so we hope it will be no problem for you. No one could help us show you the apartment because we don't know the neighbors very well.
One week ago i sent one employee to Holland to make the contract with the new tenant but when he got there the person who wanted to rent the Apartment didn't answer so we lost money and time so:
The solution we chosen is provided by a well known company called Airbnb www.airbnb.com, they handle rentals for people who are unable to solve them alone (for people who have work contracts abroad etc.), so they will handle both the delivery and payment issues. We will pay all the shipping taxes for the package. We would like to know more details about you...your age, your occupation, this just to know us better, it is very important for us to know who will live in my apartment because we want a good person.
We think you can understand us. And finally we request for a 2 months deposit (1 month warranty+1 month of rent).

Thank you and if you are interested I'll explain you more about how we will do this!

Best regards,
Sylvia Stern
Co-owner
Web:
Show quoted text

I've just received the exact first email you quoted. I am now waiting for the reply. I'm very glad I saw your post, this will save me a lot of heartache, money and nonsense... thanks!

It has happened to me recently and i lost 1800.00€.Also i gave her a cooy my ID card and my wife's.for me she introduced herself as Paula Estany Miravitlles.I am in Iran at the moment and in 1 month later i will be in Germany.I don't Know what i should do now.it is very painfull for me and my wife.If anyone can help or guide me i will be appreciate!!

Andrea4006
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

This happened to me, I got the name "Amy F. Kells." She says she's a doctor in Canada, and she is (I Googled her), but she sent me this same email about the down payment. It seemed too good to be true, which it probably is. I am in the USA, though, so I'm not sure if it's different here.

@Andrea4006  No, the scammers who send these out are using fake ID. The person who sent you this isn't the doctor, you can be quite sure. Do you really think they'd be doing this under their own names?

And what's different in the US?

Yes, I am aware. That's what I'm saying, lol

Ting164
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i almost fell into the scam too! I was looking for place to stay in Glasgow and saw the ad on Gumtree. This guy claims he is a civil engineer who works in Spain. He sent me his passport ID and name is Evans Christopher Alan. same story, everything is dealt by airbnb, 3 month rent before viewing the flat..googled long term rent Airbnb and came across this forum.  luckily i havent sent him anything!

Hi There, I’ve just received an email from a Evans Christopher Alan after seeing a flat listing on zoopla! I couldn’t believe my luck until he mentioned Airbnb! Did he send you a picture of his passport? Born 10th jan 1972??

@Ting164 @Gileasa0 

I responded on Prime Location!

Same guy, same DOB on passport, same deal.

2 days ago...

What to do?!

@Ting164 @Gileasa0 

I responded on Prime Location!

Same guy, same DOB on passport, same deal.

2 days ago...

What to do?!

email address: evsaln21@gmail.com